The best video editing software for Screencast purpose reviewed by elearning supporter team in 2017.
The best video editing software for screencast purposes covers all professional, cost effective video editors that are possible to create screencast videos like tutorial videos, product demos videos, instructional videos as well as marketing videos.
Our review focuses on two major parts: Editing videos & Creating screencast videos. While editing videos concentrates on cut, crop, split videos, add effects, then creating screencast videos focuses more on adding annotations, interactivity to videos as well as screen capturing functions.
Here are the list of 5 best video editing softrware for screencast purposes that still exist in 2017 with good user’s feedbacks.
It is no doubt thatis considered to be the most fantastic video editor for screencast purpose. It has so many features that takes weeks to learn. Beside powerful screen recording possibility, it has unique tools to edit the video such as: cut, split, join, merge the video, adjust music, audio to polish your screencast videos. With easy-to-use and navigate like the interface below, Activepresenter if really a good choice for both Windows and Mac Users. For personal use, their FREE version is more than perfect – No watermark, no recording time limit, powerful video editing features. What’s more do you expect?
#1. Customized pre-recording settings
- Capture Area – Setting up your desire recording area or full screen.
- Screen resolution – Depend on the tool, you will have wide range of choices here. At least, you will need very basic resolution such as 400×300, 800×600 or 1600×900. It would be great if you have 720p HD or 1080p Full HD feature.
- Audio input – Give you possibility to choose external device (a microphone) or none.
- Video format – Choosing desire file types as well as video quality.
- Storage location – Allow you to select correct place to store your videos/ project.
- Mouse cursor record: It is also common that you can set up to record mouse cursor or not.
- Hot key setting: Basically you only need to have functional key to Start/ stop the program. It should be enough.
#2. Screen recording functions
- Start recording notification – Whenever it start to record your screen, there must be a notification so that you know you are ON.
- Pause recording: You may feel thirsty after a while continuous speaking. Break time is always important, right?
- Stop recording – By mouse click or hot key.
#3. Advanced Editing for Audio/Video & Rich Annotations
Audio & Video Editing
Edit audio and video instantly without quality loss. Supported operations inlcudes: cut, delete, crop, join, split, blur, change volume, insert freeze frame.
There are dozens of shapes to choose from. Changing the form and hotspot of a shape just by dragging mouse.
Style (Color & Effect)
Create polished and high quality screencast videos and training simulations with various line/fill/text styles and shadow effects.
The flexible event-action mechanism with rich event and action types allows defining different learning scenarios based on viewers’ responses at each step.
Create virtually any kind of assessments or surveys with 9 types of multiple choice questions.
Slide Pool & Randomization
Create professional random quizzes with slide pools & random slides to avoid viewers from remembering and predicting answers.
Multiple Media Layers
Insert multiple videos, audios onto a slide.
Hide the sensitive information in video or image with Blur effect
Text To Speech
Convert text in any shape/object or closed captions to speech using installed SAPI 5 Text To Speech engines on Windows. Add more voices to make attractive tutorials.
Guide the viewer to different parts of the screen by using Zoom-n-Pan. This makes a smoother transition when changing focused area.
Emulate the cursor movement with flexible cursor path. Add more visual to cursor path with highlight and click sound.
Provide more information, make audio transcriptions, support for people with disabilities with Closed Caption.
Draw viewer/learner attention to a specific region with Spotlight. It is possible to apply shape and style to a Spotlight.
Built-in image editor with transparency support allows modifying any image quickly and easily.
Transitions & Animations
Attract viewer/learner by applying effects to slides and objects. There are several transition effects to choose from: Fade, Fly, Wipe, and Peak.
Prevent losing data when the power failed or system crashed with backup capabilities.
Protect the project in the shared environment with a secure password.
Ensure the quality of content by using spell checking feature. It is very necessary when working with text.
- Free version for personal and none commercial use.
- Activepresenter Standard: 149$ for business and 99$ for education.
- Activepresenter professional: 299$ (for elearning purpose)
Learn more about Activepresenter here.
2. Camtasia Studio (Camtasia) – $199 per license
No wonder that this tool developed by Techsmith is a great video editor for screencast purposes. Making professional tutorial videos, instructional collaborate company introduction video has never been so easy in Camtasia. Camtasia has been top 1 screencast software in the world since its’ release 11 years ago. We put it next to ActivePresenter because of the price $199 only. Not because of less features it offers.
- Screen Recorder: Record any part of your screen, down to the pixel.
- Webcam: Webcam lets you add a personal touch to your video.
- Media: Import images, audio, and video up to 4K resolution.
- Multi-track Timeline: Build your videos quickly with multiple tracks for images, video, text, and audio.
- Annotations: Arrows, callouts, shapes, and more help you get your point across.
- Transitions: Add an intro/outro to the beginning or end of a clip, image, shape, or text.
- Animations Zoom, pan, or create your own custom motion effects.
- Voice Narration A great way to add context to what you’re showing.
- Audio Effects Add audio effects to recordings, music, or narration to enhance your video.
- Visual Effects: Adjust colors, add a drop shadow, change the clip speed, and more.
- Interactivity Add quizzes to see who is watching your videos, and how much they’ve viewed.
- Green Screen Put yourself in your video making it appear like you’re right in the action.
- 199$/ license.
Camtasia makes video editing simple and intuitive. Anyone can create informative, engaging videos. No video experience needed.
If you are a Mac OS User and looking for a free video editing software for screencast purpose, then Screenflow is a wonderful choice. Created by Telestream, Screenflow is not only a good video editor but also a good choice for teachers and tutors in making screencast. It is also suitable for gamers, marketers who want to record long, high quality videos.
- Highest Quality Recording: ScreenFlow has the best screen capture available – even on Retina Displays.
- New! Partial Screen Capture: Record any part of your screen or any open window by itself.
- iOS Recording: Record your iPhone or iPad screen* for high quality app demos. Touch Callouts mimic finger gestures (press, pinch, swipe) to help guide your audience. The App Preview export option ensures your file adheres to Apple’s specifications for Preview on the Mac App Store. New!Monitor your iOS audio while you record. (*Requires iOS 8 or higher + Mac OS X 10.10 or higher + lightning connection to USB)
- Edit Everything: Award-winning editing experience makes crafting incredible-looking videos easy!
- Easy to Learn, Easy to Use: ScreenFlow’s intuitive interface allows even those with no video editing experience to start creating epic content in minutes. Just record, edit and share.
- Powerful Editing Tools: Add professional touches to your videos with built in transitions, annotations, text, audio & video filters, New! multi-channel audio mixing, chroma key, screen recording highlights, callouts (mouse, window, freehand) and much, much more.
- Professional Animations & Motions Graphics: Animate graphics, titles and logos with powerful new effects like Spring, Gravity and Pulse.
- Better tools for Software Tutorials: Use effects to help direct attention to your onscreen demo or tutorial. Add mouse click effects, adjust the mouse pointer size, and display any keys pressed during your screen recordings.
- Streamlined Media Management: With dynamic update of imported media, direct access to your iTunes and iPhoto libraries, as well as easy ways to organize your media such as nested clips, multi-track editing, markers, and color labels on clips, editing in ScreenFlow is easy and fun.
- Closed Caption Support: Add closed captions to all your movies. Use ScreenFlow’s caption editor tool to add, edit and publish ADA Compliant soft subtitles as caption tracks to your MPEG-4 movies (suitable for playback with an iPhone & iPad) and YouTube videos. Caption tracks can be created in multiple languages and can also be exported separately as an SRT file. Also import SRT files for use in the caption editor.
- Share videos or Export directly to Vimeo, YouTube, Facebook, and more.
- New! Animated GIF Export: Create animated GIFs right from the timeline. It’s easy to export great looking short animations for the Web, memes, tutorials or social sharing.
- ProRes, MP4 Encoding & More ScreenFlow comes with a number of preset export settings for optimal quality (such as Web, iPhone and iPad). Now you can export the quality and settings you need. New! ProRes 422 and 422LT added.
- New! Telestream Cloud Publishing: Publish and encode directly to Telestream Cloud for even more encoding formats like HLS, MPEG-DASH, WMV and more!
- Started at 99$ per month for Screenflow.
- Screenflow super pak: 143$.
ScreenFlow Super Pak + Premium Support: 175$
4. Filmora Video Editor
Filmora Video Editor is one of the most easy to use video editing software we have ever reviewed in their lineup. It is not only provide full feature mode for more control of the project but also a quick, simple mode for creating video quickly. All you have to do is: import video, arrange your story by drag-n-drop, insert background music, choose a theme for video and click Export. It will take around 5-10 minutes to create a movies to upload. The speed of exporting file impressed us.
Suprisingly, VSDC video editor is free with all necessary tools to become a good screencast software. We put this tool in the list of best video editor for screencast purposes because of its’ excellent features package for screencast. For more detail about this awesome video editor, click here!
With a suitable video editor for screencast purposes, you are able to create amazing tutorial videos, product demonstrations or amazing marketing videos that can help you earn a lot of money. Therefore, We suggest you pick up one of the above mentioned tools and start creating wonderful things.
The above mentioned video editors are best for screencast purposes We know until now. If you want to edit videos for YouTube, Facebook and other purpose, take a look at these post
Should read articles: