ActivePresenter is a professional e-learning authoring tool for Windows, and Mac users. It’s a full feature online training program, designed for making software simulation, video tutorials and other online training content. ActivePresenter includes a full high definition screen recorder, an easy-to-use video editor plus dozen of annotation tools for creating engaging screencast videos, how-to tutorials, online training courses in video formats or HTML5.
In this review article, I will try to cover all the most important parts of this program to help you save your time. Let’s getting started with the introduction video I published on my channel:
1. Pricing Plan
ActivePresenter free edition allows you to record video from your computer’s screen with webcam, audio and system sound; edit video with professional features like cut, trim, crop, merge, split videos, and add annotations to videos and so on. All these features are free to use. Your recording will not to be watermarked in this free version, which means you can use your videos for uploading to YouTube, Vimeo or Facebook if you want.
ActivePresenter Standard Edition, $199 per lifetime lets you export your project into other output formats without watermark. There is no difference between free and standard edition except the purpose of use, stated in their license terms and conditions. Check out this 15% off ActivePresenter Standard Edition discount if you want to buy it.
ActivePresenter Professional Edition , $399 per license, is suitable for eLearning designers, who need to create quizzes, export project into HTML5, and tracking learner progress in SCORM, or xAPI. Check out this 15% off ActivePresenter Professional Edition discount coupon to save your money!
ActivePresenter is designed mainly for screencasting, and creating fully responsive online training courses. The interface looks similar to MS PowerPoint. It’s quite simple to use, no steep learning curve is needed. If you understand its workflow, you’ll be able to finish your work faster.
ActivePresenter’s Start Page
To getting started with ActivePresenter, there are different options you can use. For example, if you need to record video on the screen, choose Record Screen. If you want to make a step-by-step software review video, choose Record software simulation instead. If you need to create a fully responsive elearning course, head on Responsive Project. There are also pre-built templates/ themes which can help you save your time when making a presentation or slideshow too.
This is the main working space of ActivePresenter. No matter which feature you choose at the beginning, then you still have to go here. This editor gives you full access to ActivePresenter’s features. It’s a well-organized work space. However, you will need to spend your time reading the operational manual to learn all the features.
ActivePresenter’s Export Options
Once you finish your editing work in the editor, you can select different export options to get the final result. ActivePresenter offers 3 main export options, which is video formats, HTML formats, and HTML5 content. Choosing which format to export depends on the platform you’re going to upload your content.
3. ActivePresenter Key Features
With a bunch of free and powerful features in ActivePresenter we’ve tested. This is no doubt one of the most wonderful freeware in the industry now. Most of similar professional tools let you try the program in 30 days as trial or free with a watermark on the output.
Though ActivePresenter offers a full array of powerful features for elearning professionals, here are the most important one you need to know about this program.
- High quality screen recorder to record your screen in full screen, fixed area, a locked application with your narration and webcam.
- Professional video editor with dozen of annotation tools to polish your recording. You can cut, trim, crop, split, merge videos, add animated texts to video, add transitions, spotlight and highlight effects to video, add closed captions, blur moving object, zoom and pan, picture in picture, Text-to-speech and so on.
- Various type of interactivity and quizzes for tracking learner progress.
- Preview and export project into HTML5. It supports SCORM and xAPI Tin Can.
4. ActivePresenter Pros
Great Technical Support & Online Tutorials
Out of amazing powerful features, technical support and online tutorials are also a great point of ActivePresenter.
- First off, ActivePresenter is completely free and safe to use without any limitation. The seller does not commit to provide any technical support to free users. However, what we’ve seen on their support community, it’s not exactly true. Every technical issue you send to the community get replied within an hour or two. Most answers are direct to the point. You can get your problems solved without struggling.
- They do have a YouTube channel with plethora of tutorials to teach you how to use the product correctly. If you don’t know about any feature, just go to YouTube and do a quick search. It’s always there. ActivePresenter’s blog is also a place where you can read hundreds of valuable posts about screencasting tips, elearning or video editing tutorials. Most of their posts are related to their product only. There are many great articles that you can follow up. For example, this post: Learn how to record screen in Windows 10.
Keep Fixing Bugs and Updating New Features
- When using a software, especially such feature-rich program, bugs are the issues you face with very often. No one in the world can commit that their software will not meet crash or not responding issue as there are thousands of potential unknown reasons. ActivePresenter has the same story in this case. Luckily, they are very active in fixing bugs and updating new features to the programs. When using the program, you should always check for the update every week in the Help tab.
Okay, that’s the good. And here is the cons of ActivePresenter.
5. ActivePresenter Cons
There are some minors disadvantages in ActivePresenter we’ve found during my 3 years time continuously using it. See my below notices.
- Screen Recorder: ActivePresenter is powerful enough to record everything on your computer screen to create how-to videos, product demos or software simulation except all kind of high frame rate games like Minecraft, PUPG, Age of Empire (some popular games we used to test it). If you are a gamer, we highly suggest you try other professional game recorder like Mirillis Action or OBS Studio instead of this program.
- Video Editor: ActivePresenter built-in video editor is powerful, but lack of color grading tools and presets. You need to create your own templates in ActivePresenter.
- E-learning software: ActivePresenter has everything you need to create fully responsive e-learning courses, except the lack of built-in character library, which is very common in popular e-learning software you can find on the market now.
Do we recommend this software?-> YES
For those of you who are YouTubers, online trainers and elearning content providers, ActivePresenter is no doubt one of the best options to go. ActivePresenter is highly recommended. New users can download ActivePresenter directly at their home page. Remember to check your system compatibility before downloading the program. ActivePresenter 7 is the latest version of this program. It’s available for Windows 64 bit and macOS X.
If you need to any further help, please contact us any time. Don’t forget to follow us to keep you up-to-date with our latest posts.