Top 5 free screencast software for teachers and tutors or even YouTubers. These software are totally free to download and use.
Screencast software plays an important role in elearning as well as traditional training courses. It is a tool that allows you to record video and audio from your computer to make instructional video for sharing with your students. Although most of the screencast software are very pricey, but there are also some other free, professional screencast software out there.
In today post, we will introduce to you top 5 best free screencast software for teachers and tutors to use. All these software were tested carefully by our team. You don’t need to worry when trying to download and install any of them.
Top 5 free screencast software for teachers and tutors
The first free screencast software for teachers and tutors we want to recommend to you is ActivePresenter. This is a 3-in-1 software which includes a screen recorder, a video editor and elearning authoring tool. It has all tools you need to create video, edit video, make presentations as well as export project into PDF, Excel, MS Words as well as HTML5 content. It is free to download and can work for Windows and macOS X.
- Advanced recording features: Full Motion Recording, Smart Capture
- Video editing: Cut, Crop, Join, Change Volume, Speed Up, Slow Down, Blur
- Multiple Audio/Video Layers
- Rich annotations: Shapes, Image, Zoom-n-Pan, Closed Caption, Cursor Path, Audio/Video Overlays
- Automatic Smart Annotation
- Export to: MP4, FLV, AVI, WMV, WebM, MKV
- No watermark, no ads, no time limit.
2. Apowersoft free online screencast software
The last free screencast tool we recommend teachers and tutors to use is Apowersoft free online screen recorder. Like Screencast O Matic, you can do everything online from recording, decorating video as well as editing video and so on. It is free, easy to use with intuitive interface.
- Record video and audio online, no download require, no java require.
- Built-in, simple video editor.
- No watermark, no time limit.
- Easy to use.
- Record webcam.
As we mentioned about this tool in our previous post which we stated that “Bandicam has been famous all over the world as a favorite screen recorder for game players and screencast creators. Although it does not include powerful editing tools like ActivePresenter but its’ recording capabilities is really fantastic.” Truly it is! In free version, you only have 10 minutes recording time. In our opinion, “10 minutes” is a very long time for a shot footage in the procedure of creating screencast video. Normally, a video on YouTube will last about 5-10 minutes only. When purchasing pro version, the time limitation will be removed
- Record video full screen or customized resolution at max FPS 144 and save file to AVI, MP4.
- Record audios from speaker and microphone in PCM or MPEG-1 L2 codec.
- Record Webcam and HDMI capture device, add webcam overlay.
- Customize hot keys, show/hide hotkey and show FPS overlay while recording.
- Record mouse cursor, add mouse click effects.
- Add a logo to recorded video with some position set up.
- Take screen shot during the recording with some popular formats: BMP, BNG, JPG, JPG- high quality.
4. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is not only a simple free screencast software but also a professional, free live streaming tool educators can use. It is free and open source. Although, you will need some time to learn how to use all of its features. After getting familiar with the features, you will recognized that OBS is really great.
- Recording and streaming directly.
- Editing video, audio, images, text as a studio.
- No watermark, no time limit.
5. Aiseesoft Screen recording software
Aiseesoft Screen Recorder impressed us by logical and clear user’s interface and really like this software. However, the limitation on recording time at only 2 minutes make it get lower point from our reviewers. Added to that, it lacks of video editing features also make us disappointed. However, if you want to record short videos, this tool maybe the best choice for you. The interface is so easy that you only need a minutes to learn and start making your recording. When looking at paid version, the price for 1 license will be $39 at the time we wrote this review. This is one of the best screencast software that teachers and tutors should try.
- Easy to use interface. You can change the interface skin to Elegant or Grayish.
- Support 4 languages: English, Dutch, Chinese and Francais
- Record video or audio in separated tab or both.
- Set audio codec to WMA, MP3, M4A, AAC.
- Record almost anything on your screen: games, podcast, webinars, lectures, presentations, Skype calls, online conference, webcam videos ..etc.
- Customized recording area in full screen or specific region.
- Possible to customized hotkeys.
- Possible to highlight cursor movements.
There are few more tools we can recommend you to use. However, we think it should be enough for you to try the above mentioned software. Share with us your opinion about these free tools in the comment box.
Leave a Reply