Screencasting software plays an important role in creating online training videos. It helps tutors and trainers record video on the screen to show others tips, techniques, or how-to tutorials for a specific software. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of 5 best screencasting software for you to try in 2020. These programs come in handy when you want to create online training videos for uploading to YouTube, or other sharing platforms such as your website, or a learning management system (LMS).
At the end of October each year, we sit back and review the software we compiled last year. We review the old features and evaluate the new features added in these software, compare them with other software and decide whether to add the old software to the list or remove them from the list.
Honestly speaking, these are just our personal suggestions based on what we’ve experienced. If you’re going to download/ or purchase any of the above mentioned software, don’t forget to read the license terms, and product description carefully on developers’ homepage to ensure that it’s right for you.
This post will include:
- Atomi ActivePresenter 7 – Best free screencasting software for making software tutorials.
- TechSmith Camtasia 2019 – Best professional screencasting software for creating online training videos.
- Mirillis Action Screen Recorder – Best screencasting software and live streaming platform for gaming channels.
- Filmora 9 – Best affordable screencasting software for YouTubers.
- Screencast O Matic – Best online screencasting software.
Top 5 Best Screencasting Software of 2020
1. ActivePresenter 7 – Best Free Screencasting Software for Making Software Tutorials
On top of the list is Atomi ActivePresenter 7, my go to software when it comes to making software tutorials, product demos, or online training videos. The program includes everything you need for screencasting. With ActivePresenter 7, you can record your computer screen, record webcam, record voice-over simultaneously, edit your recording with its built-in video editor, add annotations callouts, animations, cursor paths and so many things more. Finally, export your project into MP4, AVI, MKV or WebM with no watermark, or time limit. That’s all you’ll get in ActivePresenter free edition.Which is designed for personal and non-commercial use.
If you buy ActivePresenter 7 Standard Edition, which is $199 per lifetime, you’ll get all premium features of this software, including text-to-speech, green screen effect, blur moving object, background noise removal, highlight effect, spotlight effect and so on. Being noticed that all these advance features are included in the free version, but when you use them, a watermark will be placed on the outputs when you export the project to get final video. To learn more about ActivePresenter 7, watch below tutorial video on my YouTube channel. It’s very simple to use compare to other screencasting software on the market now.
- Lightweight and simple to use software for making online training videos.
- High quality screen recorder and feature-rich video editor with advance tools.
- Plenty of preset annotations, animations for making software tutorials.
- Smart workflow and intuitive user interface.
- Includes many unique features when it comes to making online training videos such as recording software simulations, custom java script and so on.
- Has a powerful free version for personal and non-commercial use.
- Built-in video transitions are very limited.
- Lack of color grading tool for video.
- Free edition for non-commercial use with no watermark, or time limit.
- Standard Edition Cost $199 per lifetime.
- Pro Edition cost $399 per lifetime.
- Upgrade cost is 40% of full price.
2. TechSmith Camtasia 2019 – Best Professional Screencasting Software for Creating Online Training Videos.
Camtasia has been around for years. Camtasia 2019 is the latest version of TechSmith Camtasia (formally Camtasia Studio 9). The program is designed for creating online training videos from screencasting, which is the same with Atomi ActivePresenter. Camtasia 2019 does includes a high quality screen recorder and video editor with plenty of preset callouts and annotations. Compare to ActivePresenter, Camtasia 2019 is more powerful when it comes to editing videos. The program also includes a color adjustment, and stylish transition effect right inside the program. You can easily navigate all Camtasia 2019 main features on the left side of the editing window.
All in all, it’s very simple to use for those of you who have a little knowledge about editing videos with a classic timeline editor. The current single license price of Camtasia 2019 is $249 lifetime license. You’ll have 30 days free trial to test the program. It works on both Windows, and macOS. One license includes 2 installations per user.
Take a look at below tutorial for beginners to learn more about Camtasia 2019.
- Powerful and professional.
- High quality screen recorder and video editor.
- Tons of colorful annotations, callouts.
- Includes advance features for making videos such as chroma key, color adjustment, animation keyframe.
- No free version, 30 days free trial only.
- License price is not affordable.
- Steep learning curve if you’re beginners.
- 30 days free trial.
- Camtasia 2019 single license is $249 for lifetime.
3. Mirillis Action Screen Recorder – Best Screencasting Software for gaming channels.
Mirillis Action is a powerful, and simple to use screencasting software which lets you record high fps games, and live streaming with it. With Mirillis Action, you can record your computer’s screen for making tutorials, or record and stream the game you’re playing on your computer. You can also take screenshots, record video from external device via USB or HDMI cable. It does includes chroma key feature for those of you who record your webcam with a green screen behind.
I personally recommend this program for gaming channels, or YouTubers who often record game-plays and uploading on YouTube, or Facebook to monetize your channels. Watch below video to see how it works.
- Lightweight and simple to use.
- Record high fps games.
- Record webcam with automatic background removal.
- Support 4k recording.
- Add live commentary and audio to your screen and game-play recordings.
- Affordable license price.
- No video editing tools.
- No free version.
- 30 days free trial.
- $29.95 for lifetime.
4. Filmora 9 – Best Affordable Screencasting Software for YouTubers
Filmora 9 is similar to TechSmith Camtasia 2019, which offers a wide array of video editing features, including a high quality screen recorder for making screencasting videos. Compare to the above mentioned programs, Filmora9’s screen recorder is not as powerful as the one I recommended above. However, there are many advantages of using Filmora 9, if you’re going to make YouTube videos. It has a lightweight, easy to use, and powerful video editor which you can use to edit your recordings such as plenty of preset titles, transitions and video effect.
Filmora 9 has a free version which includes all of its premium features for you to try on both Windows, and macOS. There is no feature limitation in this version. But your output will be watermarked if you don’t buy a license. Take a look at below tutorial for beginners to know how Filmora9 works and see if it’s right for you.
- Powerful and simple to use video editor.
- Capable of recording full HD video on the screen with mouse cursor effect.
- Edit recording in Filmora9 video editor with many advance features.
- Color grading your videos, add animations, video effect to your videos.
- Affordable license price.
- Cursor effect is limited.
- Not possible to record screen and webcam at the same time.
- Free version will be watermarked.
- Free version with watermark on the output.
- $59.95 for lifetime.
- $39.95 for 1 year subscription.
5. Screencast O Matic – Best Online Screencasting Software
Finally, if you want to record your computer screen without installing a third party program on your computer, Screencast O Matic is one of the options to go. This is a free online screencasting software which you can use to record video, your webcam, audio and system sound and publish directly to video sharing platforms such as YouTube, Facebook or Google Drive. It’s a lightweight and intuitive online screen recorder you can try for free.
- Easy to use.
- Upload your recording directly to YouTube.
- Record HD Video only.
- 15 minutes is maximum video length in free version.
- No video editing features.
There are many different types of screencasting software available on the market now. Choosing which program to use depends very much on your need, your budget and your skills. There is no “best for all program” in this world. I hope this list of 5 best screencasting software of 2020 can help you save your valuable time and effort when it comes to making online training videos. If you have any question about these programs, don’t hesitate to leave your comment below. We’d love to hear from you.