Best alternative to Camtasia: Top 5 free and low cost software you can use. These software have been reviewed carefully by elearning supporter team in 2017.
Camtasia (or Camtasia Studio) has been known as one of the best screencast software and video editor in the world at present time. And it is truly a great tool for creating training videos, product demos or tutorial videos. It has become an industry standard with advanced timeline interface which has been imitated by many followers. When Camtasia is leading the video editing industry arrogantly, it does not realize that its followers are slowly catching up with it.
Although its features are very good, but is it worth to pay $199 per license when we have many other good choices. In today post, I am going to recommend to you top 5 free and low cost Camtasia alternatives with equivalent features. Most of them are easy to use, feature-rich editing software. And off course, they are not 100% equivalent to Camtasia, but why not give them a try?
Top 5 free and low cost alternative to Camtasia studio
The first free alternative of Camtasia I want to recommend you to use is ActivePresenter, a product from Atomi System INC. It has almost the same features as Camtasia in screen recording, video editing and elearning authoring. ActivePresenter is free to download and use for Windows and macOS X. Take a look at the interface in below picture.
- User’s interface: While Camtasia provides a classic editing Window and allows you to edit video and audio in multiple tracks or story board type. ActivePresenter is capable of doing the same things in slide-based editing window. You can edit multiple videos (slides) and preview all of them after finish editing.
- Screen recording features: ActivePresenter has a built-in, professional and easy to use screen recorder too. You are able to record video and audio from your computer screen in full high definition quality. It is just the same as Camtasia.
- Video editing features: ActivePresenter provides advanced video editing tools for creating tutorial videos, product demos and software simulation easily and effectively such as: Cut, trim, Crop, Join, Change Volume, Speed Up, Slow Down, Blur effect.. and so on.
- Annotation tools: It allows users to add Shapes, Image, Zoom-n-Pan, Closed Caption, Cursor Path, Audio/Video Overlays as well as transitions and so on.
- Exporting Videos: in MP4, FLV, AVI, WMV, WebM, MKV, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Adobe PDF, HTML5.
If you are looking for equivalent alternative of Camtasia, take a look at ActivePresenter.
Filmora video editor is a professional, charming video editor that can work on Windows and Mac. It is a great low cost alternative of Camtasia after ActivePresenter. It has exactly the same features as Camtasia in terms of screen recording and video editing and the price is only 1/3 of Camtasia.
- User’s interface: There is not much different between Filmora video editor and Camtasia.
- Screen recording features: Like ActivePresenter, Filmora video editor has their own screen recorder which you can use for recording video and audio from your computer. The quality of recorded videos is exactly the same as what Camtasia can bring to you.
- Video editing features: both Filmora video editor and Camtasia has a simple, classic editing window. The only difference is that Filmora only offer 1 video track in the timeline while you can add multiple track in Camtasia.
- Annotation tools: N/A in Filmora video editor. But the good things are it has tons of interesting effects to add into the video.
- Exporting video It has almost the same options for exporting video.
Another alternative to Camtasia that can competes with Filmora video editor in terms of price is Movavi Video Editor which cost only $35 per license. Movavi video editor includes a screen recorder as well as an easy to use video editor with tons of effects for making tutorial videos and high quality movies. It can work on both Windows and Mac.
- User’s interface: Movavi video editor has the same classic user’s interface as Camtasia. It is logical arranged and easy to navigate too.
- Screen recording features: During our test, movavi built-in screen recorder gives almost the same quality result in comparison with Camtasia.
- Video editing features: Movavi video editor is also lack of some advanced editing features in comparison with Camtasia.
- Exporting video features: it has almost the same options.
VSDC free video editor is an awesome product of Flash Integro. It is a great alternative of Camtasia in my opinion. Although it can work only in Windows operating system. With a built-in simple to use screen recorder and a smart, feature-rich video editing package, you can create high quality tutorial videos, product demonstration or corporate training videos with the same quality as Camtasia. It is totally free to use and if you want to purchase pro-version, it cost only $19.
The last alternative of Camtasia I want to recommend you to use is VideoPad video editor. It is a cross platforms editing software with full options for basic and advanced video editing features. Although it doesn’t have a built-in screen recorder like above mentioned tools but its smart and advanced features like chroma key, 360 degree video effects make it worth trying. The cost for VideoPad is only $29.99 for Home’s edition and $49.99 for Master’s edition.
We understand that there are many other free screen recorders or free video editors you can use as an alternative to Camtasia. Share with us your best Camtasia alternative in the comment box on this post. Remember to follow us to receive more valuable post notifications in the future.
You may want to read:
- Top 5 best screencast software for Windows/ Mac for 2017
- Top 3 professional elearning authoring software for 2017
- Best free Screen recorders for Desktop.