Greenshot is a free and open source program which you can use to take screenshot, add shapes and text to images and save them to your computer. The tool is similar to Windows built-in Snipping Tool and has some more features that content creators may love to use.
Another day in a another busy week, I found a new free and handy tool for taking screenshot on Windows. I decide to write a short review about his simple-to-use tool because it is totally free and open source. I am not a big fan of open source software, but this tool is really worth to try. However, it is not as powerful as other professional screenshot tools on the market such as Snagit or ActivePresenter which I am using them to write tutorials and create how-to videos.
- Free and open source.
- Simple to use with all necessary tools for taking screenshot on your computer.
- Has some basic annotation tools and image cropping, rotating tool and effects.
- Possible to save captured image directly to Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Outlook.
- Take screenshot in flexible area, window mode or full screen mode.
- Lacks of technical support as it is an open source program.
- No video recording feature.
You can give it a try if you want a more powerful program than Windows built-in Snipping Tool. If you need a screen capture software for creating professional tutorials, we suggest you go for other all-in-one free programs like ActivePresenter or OBS Studio which we’ve tested carefully.