What is iSpring Suite?
iSpring Suite is a PowerPoint-based authoring toolkit produced by iSpring Solutions that allows users to create slide-based courses, quizzes, dialog simulations, screencasts, video lectures, and other interactive learning materials. The output courses are published in HTML5.
It’s easy to use as the features are very similar to the program that you’ve learned at schools for years. Being integrated with PowerPoint, iSpring Suite allows users to convert PowerPoint presentations to multimedia elearning courses easily. Added to that, creating interactive assessments (with branching and flexible scoring), and building realistic dialogue simulations are some advantages of using iSpring Suite.
With iSpring Suite, you will get an extensive collection of eLearning assets (characters, locations, icons, templates, controls, office suppliers). Finally, you’ll be able to export your elearning courses into SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, AICC, cmi5, and xAPI (Tin Can). Well, that’s everything you need for eLearning.
Why do you need to find an alternative to iSpring Suite?
#1. Its license price is not affordable, especially the lifetime offer.
iSpring Suite subscription plan is $970/ year, which will give you full access to its content library, iSpring Cloud and other professional tools from iSpring Solution as you can see in below screenshot. If you need only iSpring Suite authoring tool, you can choose its lifetime offer which is $1470 per license.
Being noticed that, with $1470, you will only get the tool to create elearning courses (NO content library, NO 24/7 support, NO cloud service). If you do some quick researches, you’ll easy find out that this offer is even higher than Adobe Captivate 2019 ($1299), and Articulate Storyline 3 ($1398), two famous all-in-one authoring tools that being trusted by millions of users around the world. That’s funny, isn’t it?
#2 It still lacks many important features
- The tool is not available for Mac OS.
- It doesn’t support in recording software simulation.
- Audio/ video effects and editing options are limited. For example, it’s impossible to cut, copy, paste, join, or delete media ranges.
- The tool doesn’t support to insert spotlight, zoom-n-pan, cursor path.
- Text-to-speech isn’t available.
- It’s impossible to add events – actions for objects or create and use variables.
- Free form questions aren’t available.
Well, that’s not to mention about the price you have to pay for Microsoft PowerPoint license when you want to use this add-in.
Okay! That’s enough information about iSpring Suite and reasons why you want to find an alternative. Here’s my suggestions: 2 best affordable iSpring Suite alternatives for creating eLearning courses.
2 Best Affordable iSping Suite Alternatives
#1. Atomi ActivePresenter – Best For Creating Fully Responsive Learning Courses
My first take is Atomi ActivePresenter, an all-in-one elearning authoring software for Windows, and macOS. ActivePresenter is a stand-alone program, it’s not a MS PowerPoint add-in like iSpring Suite. ActivePresenter allows users to handle different tasks thanks to advanced features and greater scalability. It is a powerful tool for creating slide-based eLearning courses with highly interactive elements. Besides, it also comes in handy for recording screen and webcam as well as software simulations. From my own perspective, ActivePresenter is more powerful than iSpring Suite in terms of creating software simulations, editing videos and audio.
Take a look at below demo video to understand more about ActivePresenter.
- Advanced recording features: Full Motion Recording, Smart Capture
- Video editing: Cut, Crop, Join, Change Volume, Speed Up, Slow Down
- Multiple Audio/Video Layers
- Rich annotations: Shapes, Image, Zoom-n-Pan, Closed Caption, Cursor Path, Audio/Video Overlays
- Smart Annotation
- Themes & Templates
- Export to: MP4, WebM, MKV, AVI, WMV
- Export to: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Adobe PDF, HTML
- Commercial Use
- Advanced Audio/Video Effects: Fade In, Fade Out, Noise Reduction, Blur, Green Screen
- HTML5 Export
- Fully Responsive Design
- Interactions: Button, Mouse Click, Text Input, Drag & Drop, Keystroke
- Quiz: 9 Types of Questions
- Report & Tracking in LMS (SCORM, xAPI)
- Free edition for non commercial use.
- Standard Edition lifetime license: $199.
- Professional license for e-learning: $399 per lifetime.
#2: TechSmith Camtasia 2019
My next recommendation is TechSmith Camtasia 2019, an affordable video editing suite for developing online training videos, and product demonstrations. With Camtasia 2019, you can also make different kind of video content like YouTube videos, Vlogs, video lectures, video lessons, employee training videos and so on. Added to that, you can also add quizzes to a point of your video.
If you’re going to develop an video-based learning courses, TechSmith Camtasia is no doubt the best option to go. Its feature-rich video editor, with tons of preset annotations, callouts and templates will grab your attention at the first spot. Compare to iSpring Suite, Camtasia license price is much more affordable too. Click here to read my review of Camtasia. Watch below tutorial to learn more about it.
- Capture crisp video and audio from your desktop. Or record webcam to add a personal touch to your video.
- Camtasia gives you pre-made animations that are simple to customize. Effects add professionalism and polish to your videos with drag-and-drop functionality.
- Choose from our library of royalty-free music and sound effects. And Camtasia lets you record and edit your audio clips to get the perfect audio for your video.
- Grab attention in your videos with eye-catching titles, annotations, effects and more.
- Add zoom in, zoom out, and pan animations to your screen recordings.
- Add quizzes and interactivity to encourage and measure learning in your videos.
- Turn your presentation into a video. Record or import PowerPoint slides directly into Camtasia.
- 30 days free trial.
- $249 perpetual license for 2 installation per user.
- $223.7 for Government.
- $169 for education.
If you need a stand-alone eLearning authoring tool to replace iSpring Suite, go ahead with Atomi ActivePresenter professional edition. You’ll love it.
If you want to create software tutorials, online training videos, video lectures, webinars etc, consider ActivePresenter Standard Edition, or TechSmith Camtasia 2019. These programs are perfect for such kind of video content.
If you have any question about these programs, let me know at the comment section below.