TechSmith Camtasia is a great screencast software which has been around for some decades. It’s a powerful tool you can use for making screencast video, marketing videos and more. Camtasia 2019 has everything you need to create online training videos whether in video formats or HTML.
But, if you have a tight budget, Camtasia 2019 is not the ideal option for you. The software comes in at $249 per license, which is not as affordable as other programs I’ve reviewed.
In this article, I’ve compiled a list of 2 best free alternatives to TechSmith Camtasia 2019 for your consideration.
Top 2 Best Free Alternatives To Camtasia 2019 for Making Online Training Videos
1. ActivePresenter – Free
On top of the list is my go to software when it comes to creating software tutorial videos. ActivePresenter is one of the best free alternative to Camtasia 2019 you can use for making online training videos. It has a built-in screen recorder, video editor, and dozen of annotations you can add to your recording. In consideration of the recording quality, video editing features, ActivePresenter is no doubt the most powerful free alternative to Camtasia 2019 from a software reviewer’s perspective. Take a look at this introduction video to learn more about ActivePresenter.
- Easy to use.
- Record everything on the screen in full HD.
- Record screen and webcam simultaneously.
- Record audio from external device, and system sound.
- Advance video, audio editing tools.
- Tons of annotations, callouts, shapes, arrows.
- Export video in MP4, MKV, MOV without watermarks.
- Lack of color grading tools.
- Limited callouts presets.
- Free edition for non commercial use.
- Standard Edition lifetime license: $199.
- Professional license for e-learning: $399 per lifetime.
2. OBS STUDIO – Free, and Open Source
OBS STUDIO is the second alternative to Camtasia I want to recommend you to try if you’re not happy with the first option. OBS STUDIO is not only a high quality screen recorder, but also a great live streaming software. It’s a YouTube recommended live streaming software. OBS STUDIO is not as powerful as ActivePresenter, or Camtasia in making training videos though. It’s good enough for those of you who want to record your computer screen with audio and webcam for making online training tutorials. Take a look at this tutorial for beginners to learn more about OBS STUDIO:
- Free to use without any restriction.
- Capable of recording screen, webcam and audio.
- Can be used as a live streaming platform.
- Record high fps game-plays.
- Difficult to use for beginners.
- Program may cause lag to your computer some times.
- Lack of video editing tools.
- No built-in annotations.
- Record video in MP4 only.
If you’re going to make online training videos, choosing the right software may help you save you tons of time and effort. Camtasia 2019 is a great option for professional trainers. But, if you’re looking for something more affordable, or free, these alternatives maybe the options to go. If you have any question about these programs, don’t hesitate to contact me any time.