In order to record your Windows 10 screen, you will need a screen recording software – a screen recorder- or a screen capture software. All of them has the same meaning. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of top 5 screen recording software for Windows 10 [free & paid] to help you save your time and effort finding a good screen recorder for your windows 10 Pc or laptop.
Being mentioned that, there are many free screen recorders for Windows 10 you can choose nowadays. They are very similar to each other. Most of them has the ability to capture video screen, your webcam, audio from your microphone and system sound perfectly. However, only few of them offer video editing features which are indispensable part in video production.
1. ActivePresenter – Best Free Screen Recorder For Windows 10
On top of the list is my go to software when it comes to making software tutorial videos. Atomi ActivePresenter is one of the best screen recorders for PC Windows 10, 7 and 8 you can use completely free. With ActivePresenter, you can record a certain area on the screen, full screen, or a locked application. You can also choose recording webcam, audio from your microphone, and system sound at the same time too. The program is designed for recording software tutorials, recording software simulations, and other kinds of screencast videos.
ActivePresenter has many special features that can be mentioned as capabilities of recording mouse cursor, voice-over and system audio separately, converting text-to-speech, adding annotations, zoom effect, spotlight effect, green screen effect and so on. Most importantly, it has a free version for personal and non commercial uses. This version lets you export videos in MP4, AVI, MKV without watermark, or video length limitation. Watch below video to learn more about ActivePresenter.
- Record screen, webcam, audio and system sound in Full HD resolution.
- Edit recorded video, audio and webcam recording easily.
- Add text, annotations, zoom effect, spotlight effect and animations quickly.
- Record voice-over, convert text to speech, taking screenshots.
- Export videos into MP4, MKV, MOV, WebM, AVI and other HTML5 formats (with watermark in free version).
Though there is one download package only. ActivePresenter pricing detail has 3 different packages as below.
- Free Edition for personal and non-commercial use.
- $199 perpetual license for Standard Edition.
- $399 perpetual license for Pro Edition.
2. TechSmith Camtasia – Best Paid Screen Recorder for Windows 10
Camtasia has been known as the industry standard for years when it comes to screencasting. It’s no doubt one of the best screen recorders for PC Windows 10, 7 and 8 you can try now. It’s also available for macOS like ActivePresenter I mentioned above. Camtasia is specially designed for making how-to videos, video demos as well as marketing videos. With Camtasia, you can also record screen, webcam, audio and webcam at the same time and edit your recording in its classic timeline video editor.If you have little video editing skills then you will easily get acquainted with Camtasia.
Camtasia’s work flow is simple. You record, edit and share your videos. There are built-in colorful callouts and annotations right inside the program which can help you make software tutorial videos faster. The only downside of Camtasia is its expensive license price which is not suitable for individual users. And it does not have a free editor for personal use too. You can trial Camtasia in 30 days before making your purchase decision. Watch my below tutorial for beginners to learn more about Camtasia:
- Record screen, audio from microphone, system sound and webcam at the same time.
- Edit recording, add mouse cursor effect, animations and annotation to the videos easily.
- Has animation keyframe and loads of behaviors for making educational videos.
- Loads of annotations presets, callouts, keystroke and sketch motions for explanation.
- Export video into different formats and share directly on TechSmith’s server or other video sharing platforms.
- 30 days free trial.
- $249 perpetual license – Use my 10% off discount code to save your money.
3. OBS STUDIO – Best Open Source Screen Recorder For Windows 10 (Recommended for Gamers and Streamers)
OBS STUDIO is my next recommendation for gamers and streamers who need a screen recorder and live stream software who don’t need special features of ActivePresenter and Camtasia. With OBS STUDIO, you’re able to record full screen, record a Window with audio from your microphone and webcam seamlessly. Though it does not include video editing features, OBS STUDIO has some helpful filters that you can use for streaming games like chroma key and transition effect.
OBS STUDIO is compatible with Windows 10, 7, 8, macOS and Linux. It’s one of the most common screen recorders in the open source community now. Watch my below tutorial on how to record screen with your webcam with OBS STUDIO to see if it’s right for you.
- Record screen, webcam and audio.
- Live streaming on YouTube, Twitch and Facebook.
4. Filmora X – Best Windows 10 Screen Recorder for YouTubers
Filmora is actually a video editor which has a built-in screen recorder. It’s an affordable video editor for making YouTube videos. The program offers a wide array of video and audio editing features, plus tons of preset titles, transitions and video effect which you can add to your videos by drag and drop them on the timeline.
Honestly speaking, Filmora’s screen recorder is not as powerful as other professional screen recorders i.e ActivePresenter or Camtasia I mentioned above, it’s still a great choice for YouTubers who need a software that can help them edit their daily vlogs, travel videos and some times recording screen. Watch me below tutorial for beginners to learn more about Filmora screen recorder.
- Record full screen, audio and system sound with mouse cursor effect.
- Record webcam separately.
- Edit recorded videos in Filmora video editor – Read review of Filmora 9 here!
- $69.99 perpetual license for one user – 20% off discount code is available here!
- $49.95 per annual for 1 user.
5. Mirillis Action – Best Affordable Screen Recorder for Windows 10 (Gamers and Streamers)
Many gamers and streamers complained about OBS STUDIO. They said that it’s too complicated to use and some times contains lots of virus and malware. Well, that’s the downside of open source programs. You don’t know what people add to the download package from time to time. Whenever you download any open source program, you need to check the download package carefully to keep your computer safe. If you’re not sure how to keep your computer safe with these open source programs, you’re welcome to skip them. There are another great option that lets you record your high fps game-plays and streams directly on YouTube or Facebook I recommend you to try here.
Mirillis Action is an affordable screen recorder and live streaming solution for those of you who are not willing to risk your life with free and open source programs. It’s easier to use than OBS Studio. It has countless amazing features in a $29.95 lifetime package for you. Read my in depth review of Mirillis Action in this post.
- Record everything on the screen with audio, webcam and live stream on YouTube, or Facebook.
- Remove green screen background from your video.
- Support recording up to 4K resolution.
- Hardware acceleration for HD recording in MP4 format.
- 30 days free trial.
- $29.95 perpetual license for one user.
I hope this list can help you save your time and effort searching for the best screen recorder for PC Windows 10. Being noticed that this is not the list of all screen recorder on the market. There are many other names I did not mention here for some reasons. If you’re currently using one of the above mentioned programs, or any others, lets me know in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you.