8 Best Green Screen Software For Windows/Mac – Best video editing software with green screen effect/ Chroma key you can try now. Learn how to use Chroma Key with popular green screen video editors here.
Using a green screen software to create movies, TV shows or weather forcast video has become an important technique that most professional video editors need to know. We will help you choose the best tool right in this article. Before diving into the detail, it’s worth to go over some piece of important knowledge about green screen technique.
Green screen effect (Chroma key) is an important technique that is being used more and more in the world at present time. It is the essential part of CGI (Computer-generated imagery) which many Hollywood film makers are using now. It is a visual effects / post-production technique for compositing (layering) two images or video streams together based on color hues (Chroma range). The technique has been used heavily in many fields to remove a background from the subject of a photo or video – particularly the news-casting, motion picture and video game industries.
It is also commonly used for weather forecast broadcasts, wherein a news presenter is usually seen standing in front of a large CGI map during live television newscasts, though in actuality it is a large blue or green background. This is an example of how professional studios turn raw footage with green screen background into most watched amazing Hollywood movies.
In order to create a movie like Captain America or The Avengers, film makers need many things more than just a green screen software. However, it’s worth to learn how to apply green screen effect in video production if you are interested in video editing. What else do you need? You asked. Just some easy stuff!
Simple Tips To Produce Better Green Screen Videos
- A green backdrop with suitable size. This item can be bought easily on Amazon or some other retailers. There are different sizes and kits for you to choose. Normally, seller often offers backdrop and lights together. Take both. If you don’t want to search yourself, take a look at this Chromakey Green Screen Kit. This is a 6×9 feet green screen kit you can buy at $89.99 on Amazon.
- A smartphone, a 4K action camera (like this GoPro Hero 2018), a semi-pro camcorder, a DSLR or what ever you can use to record video. For example, the Samsung Galaxy S9 or iPhone X is more than enough for shooting a nice footage.
- Avoid wearing clothes that have the same color as the background. As you know, the green screen software will key out all the green color on your video. If you wear the same color, it will also disappear.
Then you are good to go now. If you don’t know how to set up to get the best green screen video, take a look at this short tutorial video. There are dozen of useful green screen setup tutorial videos on YouTube showing how you should setup your backdrop, your lights and Cameras position. You are highly recommended to watch them. Here is an example.
Okay, that’s for preparation steps. Now is the most important thing: Green screen software. In today’s post, I am going to share with you the best green screen software you can use to remove video background quickly. These programs are powerful, simple to use and decent for making whether home movies or professional post productions.
Top 8 Best Green Screen Software For Windows/ Mac
ActivePresenter has been known as one of the most professional video editing programs for screen-casting purposes. The program comes with lots of advanced video editing features including Chroma key effect. As ActivePresenter allows you to add as many video tracks as you want which means that you can add multiple green screen videos to create a new video file quickly. Take a look at our full review of ActivePresenter here!
The most important features of ActivePresenter are: Record screen; cut, trim, crop, merge and split video, add blur effects, transitions, shapes, texts, highlight, spotlight to video and many more. See below feature descriptions:
Screen Recording features
- Smart Capture : Capture screen when mouse clicked or key pressed. Each action is captured as a slide which explains in details what the viewer/learner should follow to master the lesson.
- Full Motion Recording : Record screen as a full motion video and embedded in a slide for further editing with annotations, voice-over, zoom-n-pan, closed captions and animation effects.
- Microphone & Speakers Recording: Record system audio and audio from microphone simutaneously while recording screen.
- Smart Annotation: Automatically generate the description from the action and target application and insert to slide properly. This makes the content almost ready to publish for a quick tutorial.
- Lossless Quality: The video is recorded with the lossless codec to ensure the highest quality (100%) in the overall editing process. H264, MPEG-1,2 lossy codecs are also available.
- Configurable Hotkeys: Some target applications already registered the common hotkeys. In that case, configurable hotkeys are vital to make a complete recording session.
Video Editing Features
- Audio & Video Editing: Edit audio and video instantly without quality loss. Supported operations includes: cut, delete, crop, join, split, blur, change volume, insert freeze frame.
- Shapes: There are dozens of shapes to choose from. Changing the form and hotspot of a shape just by dragging mouse.
- Style (Color & Effect): Create polished and high quality screencast videos and training simulations with various line/fill/text styles and shadow effects.
- Interactivity: The flexible event-action mechanism with rich event and action types allows defining different learning scenarios based on viewers’ responses at each step.
- Quizzes: Create virtually any kind of assessments or surveys by using 9 quiz types.
- Slide Pool & Randomization: Create professional random quizzes with slide pools & random slides to avoid viewers from remembering and predicting answers.
- Multiple Media Layers: Insert multiple videos, audios onto a slide.
- Blur: Hide the sensitive information in video or image with Blur effect
- Text To Speech: Convert text in any shape/object or closed captions to speech using installed SAPI 5 Text To Speech engines on Windows. Add more voices to make attractive tutorials.
- Zoom-n-Pan: Guide the viewer to different parts of the screen by using Zoom-n-Pan. This makes a smoother transition when changing focused area.
- Cursor Path: Emulate the cursor movement with flexible cursor path. Add more visual to cursor path with highlight and click sound.
- Closed Caption: Provide more information, make audio transcriptions, support for people with disabilities with Closed Caption.
- Spotlight: Draw viewer/learner attention to a specific region with Spotlight. It is possible to apply shape and style to a Spotlight.
- Image Editing: Built-in image editor with transparency support allows modifying any image quickly and easily.
- Transitions & Animations: Attract viewer/learner by applying effects to slides and objects. There are several transition effects to choose from: Fade, Fly, Wipe, and Peak.
- Backup: Prevent losing data when the power failed or system crashed with backup capabilities.
- Protection: Protect the project in the shared environment with a secure password.
- Spell Checker: Ensure the quality of content by using spell checking feature. It is very necessary when working with text.
Output Exporting Features
- Video Export: Export content to popular video formats including AVI, FLV, WMV, WebM, MP4. Balance between output size and video quality with frame rate, key frame, and quality options.
- HTML5 Export: Export content to HTML5 Simulation which can run on any modern web browser and device (desktop, tablet, smartphone).
- SCORM & xAPI: Support SCORM and xAPI, two most popular eLearning specifications which are widely supported by many Learning Management System.
- Player Skin: There are several templates (player skins) to choose from and each also has more options to customize.
- Report & Tracking: Even without using LMS, the learner result can be tracked by using HTTP method. The report data is in form of well-known standards such as XML, JSON, CVS,..
- Document Export: Export to most popular document formats. Further editing with Microsoft Office. Custom layout with Microsoft Word.
VSDC is a free, professional video editor that has green screen effect. It also has all necessary tools to edit video professionally. It is a light professional non-linear video editing suite for creating a movie of any complexity – from a drone or action camera clip in the UHD quality to a business presentation with a wide array of charts and diagrams. It supports the most popular video/audio formats and codecs, including DVD, HD and GoPro videos. Preconfigured profiles make the creation of videos for various multimedia, mobile devices and social networks absolutely hassle-free. See how to apply green screen effect in VSDC from this tutorial. >>Read more..
VSDC best features
The video editor is intended for editing video files and creating videos of any complexity involving various visual and audio effects. The program offers rich functionality and yet has a simple and intuitive interface, allowing you to create videos with a bare minimum of efforts.
Non-linear video editor
Our editor is a non-linear tool. This means that unlike in most other editors, where scenes come one after another in a linear sequence and certain order, our software allows objects to be placed in any position on the timeline and have any size. Besides, various parameters, shape and position of objects can change arbitrarily over time.
Visual and audio effects
You can apply various visual and audio effects to your videos to achieve the necessary result. Since the number of available visual effect is very high, they are split into five categories for ease of navigation: color correction, object transformation, object filters, transition effects and special fx.
Blending modes and Instagram-like filters
One more way of changing the look of your video image according to your preferences is color blending. Using a wide array of adjustable parameters, you can attach a unique professional style to your video. Newbies or those, who would like to save time, can benefit from stylish Instagram-like filters applied in one click.
VSDC Free Video Editor allows for creating different shaped masks for hiding, blurring or highlighting certain elements in your video. You can use it to apply special effects inside or outside the masked area. One of the most common reasons for masking are to blur a face to protect the identity or remove unwanted marks.
Easy export to social networks
To prepare a video for Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo without any problems, VSDC Free Video Editor offers you special export profiles which significantly reduce the stress of selecting a suitable format and meeting all the requirements.
Objects in a scene are positioned with subpixel accuracy, which makes for smooth animation, rotation, transformation and precise relative positioning.
Support of popular formats
Our software supports virtually all video, image and audio formats and codecs. That is why you won’t need any additional conversion tools to edit your files, as is often the case with other programs.
4K and HD export
VSDC is currently the only free video editor that allows you to export in a new H265/HEVC codec to maintain the highest quality at a minimum file size which is essential for those often processing 4K and HD files.
Creation of videos for specific multimedia devices
Thanks to a large set of preconfigured profiles, you can easily create videos for most popular multimedia devices, such as DVD players, iPod/iPhone/iPad, PSP, any smartphones and regular phones, Sony PlayStation, Xbox, Zune, Archos, iRiver, Creative Zen, Blackberry, MP4 players and many others.
Working with charts
You can create diagrams of different kinds, including 3D diagrams: Bar, Stacked Bar, Point, Bubble, Line, Scatter Line, Fast Line, Step Line, Spline, Area, Spline Area, Stacked Area, Stacked Spline Area, Range Bar, Gantt, Pie, Pie 3D, Torus 3D, Radar Point, Radar Line, Radar Area, Radar Spline, Radar Spline Area, Funnel, Pyramid, Pyramid 3D, High Low, Candle Stick. These objects can be based on dynamically changing data of different types. Besides, the appearance of diagrams is fully customizable (appearance of charts, coordinate axes, user-defined axes, legends, names of charts and axes, lines, labels and other elements), which will help you tailor them to your specific needs. Integrated color themes make it possible to quickly change the way your charts look.
Video library (to be included in the next program release)
The editor software lets you create your own library of multimedia files with brief or detailed descriptions. This will help you organize your video collection and simplify access to the necessary files.
Video stabilization tool
Footage taken from drones, action cameras or other devices on the go often needs improvement. VSDC Stabilization tool, as your virtual tripod, helps remove jitter or any other shaking effects, caused by camera movement and turn it into a much smoother video image.
VSDC Free Video Editor not only provides ready-made profiles for exporting to social networks, but also offers you to upload your video directly to YouTube right from the app without switching windows or tabs.
Built-in DVD burning tool
The editor comes with a DVD burning tool, allowing you to easily burn the results of your work to optical discs.
Video File Converter
The application is designed to quickly convert video files from one format to another. It has some basic features for editing videos: removing unneeded segments, splitting your video into parts, and merging several files into one.
Desktop video capture
The video editor features a desktop video capture utility that saves captured footage to a video file for subsequent processing in the editor.
Another feature of the our editor is the ability to capture video from various video tuners, webcams, IP сamera and save the captured footage on your computer in an arbitrary format for subsequent editing.
Learn how to use Chroma key effect in VSDC from this tutorial video
As you all know, Filmora video editor is an easy to use program that anyone can learn quickly. Its Chroma key is as simple to apply as any other tools. Filmora license price is $39.99 only. Our full review is available here. Watch this tutorial to learn how to apply green screen effect in Filmora.>>Read more
More advanced features of Filmora Video Editor
- Chroma key (Green Screen effect): Filmora offer chroma key feature for you to create Hollywood style movies from your studio.
- Video stabilizer & Audio Mixer: Filmora did a good job in stabilizing video and audio to Eliminate the effects of camera shake. The end result often has good quality as we expect.
- Tons of effects: in video editing software, effects are really important. In filmora, you have plenty of built-in effect for example: 138 type of TEXT, 94 type of Transition, 138 Filters, 72 type of overlay and 296 different elements for you to pick. If you want to split the screen, there are 20 different type to choose. If you want more effect, they offer many effect packages that you can take a look at here.
- Picture in Picture (PIP) Layer multiple video clips using the Picture in Picture track.
- Advanced Text Editing Edit the color, size, font, and even animation of your text and titles.
- Split Screen Play two or more clips simultaneously. You can choose your split screen type then drag and drop picture or video into the frame easily.
- 3D Lut Choose from a selection of color grading presets inspired by popular movies. In Filmora, you can choose one of Hollywood film style like 007, Harry Potter or Star War…and so on. That’s cool, right?
- Tilt Shift Draw focus to one part of a clip by strategically blurring the rest.
- Audio Separation Detach your audio from your video clip and edit it separately.
- Scene Detection Have Filmora scan your clips for scene changes to save yourself time.
- Audio Equalizer Fine-tune your music and audio tracks.
Check out this tutorial on how to make green screen video with Filmora
Movavi video editor is also a simple to use program which has all the basic and advanced editing tools like Chroma key and video stabilizer. You can read our full review about Movavi here. Here is the tutorial on how to use Chroma key in Movavi. >>Read more..
More Advanced features of Movavi Video Editor
- Built-in media: Use video clips, backgrounds, music, and sound from Video Editor library.
- Video stabilization: Remove motion distortion without affecting overall video quality.
- Picture in picture: Combine multiple videos on one screen.
- Audio editing tools: Adjust audio frequency, normalize audio, remove noise, apply special effects.
- Webcam capture: Record video from your web camera.
- Beat detection: Automatically detect audio rhythm to sync with the tempo of your project.
- Audio recording: Record your own voiceover via microphone, capture sound from musical instruments.
- High-level performance: Edit and export videos without delay, thanks to support for Intel® hardware acceleration. Movavi Video Editor for Windows lets you edit video easily and achieve good results in no time!
Check out this tutorial to learn how to apply green screen in Movavi.
As one of the most powerful product of TechSmith, Camtasia Studio 9 has all features you want for editing video, adding effects, annotations and a perfect Chroma key. Our full review about Camtasia Studio 9 is available here.
Check out the best features of Camtasia Studio 9:
Camtasia Studio 9 work flow is as easy as counting 1-2-3. For example, in order to create a tutorial video or product demo, you’ll have to options i.e recording your screen or import your footage into the library on the left side of the interface, then drag it into the timeline for making your edits. Supported input formats are bananas.
Media Bin is the place to store your footage to edit as well as TechSmith’s Library which includes ready-made Icons, Vehicles, eLearning Brothers, Motion graphic and Music. You can use these templates by dragging them to the timeline.
- Animated backgrounds: You’ll have access to a variety of backgrounds that grab attention right from the start.
- Music tracks: Use music to set the mood of your video. All tracks are royalty free and safe to use on YouTube and Vimeo.
- Icons: Choose from hundreds of icons, or bring in your own straight from your computer.
- Motion graphics: Get lower thirds, intro slides, and more so you can start quickly and look great.
- Multi-track Timeline: Build your videos quickly with multiple tracks for images, video, text, and audio.
- Annotations: Arrows, callouts, shapes, and more help you get your point across.
- Transitions Add an intro/outro to the beginning or end of a clip, image, shape, or text.
- Animations: Zoom, pan, or create your own custom motion effects.
- Voice Narration: A great way to add context to what you’re showing.
- Audio Effects: Add audio effects to recordings, music, or narration to enhance your video.
- Visual Effects: Adjust colors, add a drop shadow, change the clip speed, and more.
- Interactivity: Add quizzes to see who is watching your videos, and how much they’ve viewed.
- Green Screen: Put yourself in your video making it appear like you’re right in the action.
And here is how to use Chroma key in Camtasia Studio 9.
Shotcut is another great free video editor with green screen feature that works on Windows, Mac and Linux. We believe that this software is a perfect choice for post production video as well as home movies maker. Applying Chroma key in Shotcut is as easy as eating cake. Read our full review here!
It is not surprising that Lightworks v14 has a great Chroma key since his brother Lightworks Pro, one of the best film editing software that many Hollywood directors like to use. Take a look at below tutorial to learn how to use Chroma key in Lightworks. >>More about lightworks..
Check out this tutorial to know how to apply green screen in Lightworks 14
DaVinci Resolve 14 has hundreds of new features for editors, colorists and now, for the first time, audio professionals. The new playback engine dramatically increases responsiveness with up to 10x better performance for editors. You also get a whole new page with the full Fairlight audio post production tools that let you record, edit, mix, sweeten and master sound with full 3D audio space and up to 1000 channels. Colorists will find amazing new filters that include automatic facial recognition and tracking for quickly smoothing skin tones, brightening eyes, changing lip color and more! Plus, DaVinci Resolve 14 features revolutionary new multi user collaboration tools such as bin locking, chat and timeline merging that allow editors, colorists, and sound editors to all work on the same project at the same time! All these new features make DaVinci Resolve 14 the world’s most advanced post production software!
Green screen feature in Davinci Resolve 14 is as great as its professional, paid version. See this helpful tutorial.
What is the best green screen software I suggest?
For making screencast and how-to videos: I highly recommend you to try ActivePresenter 7. It is free and powerful program that you can trust. Download ActivePresenter 7 here.
For Windows: I suggest you try VSDC since it is completely free and simple to use. It also comes with lots of amazing features for making screencast, tutorials and product demos. Download it here!
For Mac: Try Camtasia Studio 9! Although it is a little bit pricey for personal use and you can try only in 30 days, it would be more suitable for using to make training video, product demos for business. Download it here!
For Linux: Look at Shotcut! This free and open source video editor is really simple to use and powerful enough for any video editing purpose. Download it here!
Movavi & Filmora are the software for someone who love to add beautiful effects to the videos with minimum effort.
Try Davinci Resolve 14 when you are ready to learn how to edit video like Hollywood film makers do.
There are still many other green screen software programs available on the market now. We will keep you up-to-date with other reviews about high quality, free software at soonest time. Remember to follow us via email to receive more valuable post notifications in the future.
Similar article you may be interested in: The most professional video editing software in 2017!