Best 5 screencast software for Windows/Mac. Use these software to create training videos, product demonstration and how-to tutorials.
What is a screencast software?
Screencast software is a program which allows you to record video and narration from your computer’s screen. The recorded video is so called a screencast. A screencast can be used for many purposes such as:
- Creating how-to videos for uploading to online sharing channels like YouTube, Twitch, Dailymotion or Facebook.
- Making a training video for your new employees, showing them about your product or company’s regulations and so on.
- Creating product demos or marketing video for your advertising campaign.
There are lots of benefits a screencast software can bring to you. There are dozen of screencast software you can use for the above mentioned purposes whether it is free or paid software.
In today’s article, I am going to share with you a list of the best screencast software for Windows and Mac. These are the software that I’ve reviewed carefully in recent months. This list consists of the most easy-to-use and professional screencast software only. Whether you want to record a video from your desktop monitor, a gameplay or whatever happening on your computer’s screen, these software can help.
Best screencast software for Windows/ Mac
The best free screencast software for Windows 7/8x/10 and Mac. Try ActivePresenter for making tutorial videos, product demos and software simulation.
ActivePresenter is a product of Atomi Systems. It is a free, lightweight and professional screencast software for capturing video and audio from your desktop. If you are looking for an all-in-one solution with screen recorder, video editor and elearning authoring tool, you should try ActivePresenter. Like many other screencast tools, ActivePresenter can grab image still video and audio from desktop, cut, trim unwanted parts or join clips as well as adding either shapes or quizzes into the slides. Finally, your videos can be exported to video formats, Word, PDF, Excel or Html5 content. It is available for both Windows and Mac.
- Easy to use.
- Record full screen or customized area.
- No watermark, no time limit.
- Built-in editing tools
- Export file to various formats.
- Full HD quality result.
- Add annotations, text, sub title, transitions.
- Sharing directly online is not possible.
Although ActivePresenter is completely free to use. However, if you would like to use it for commerical purpose, you need to purchase its paid version which cost $149/ lifetime/ license.
A professional screencast software for Windows and Mac.
No wonder that Camtasia Studio 9, created by TechSmith, is one of the best screencast software for making professional and nice looking videos. It has all tools you need for making screencast such as: a powerful and full HD screen recorder, an easy-to-use and logical video editor with tons of basic and advanced editing options. Adding effects, callouts and annotations in Camtasia is as easy as any other classic timeline video editor in the world now.
TechSmith offers 30 days as free trial for new Camtasia’s user. After that, you need purchase a license at $199 to go further with it.
- Easy to use.
- Great built-in video editing tools.
- Record full screen or a part.
- Record webcam.
- Import and edit images, audio and video up to 4K resolution.
- Add annotations, transitions, animations as well as audio, visual effects.
- Add quizzes to the video easily.
- No Free version. Only free trial in 30 days.
- 199$/ license.
A powerful screencast software for creating tutorial video on Windows, Mac and iOS.
Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro is a simple yet powerful screencast software for recording video and audio from your computer’s monitor. You can also record webcam, edit recorded video and upload it directly to YouTube, FTP or Google Drive quickly. Like ActivePresenter and Camtasia, it is simple to record video in full screen or part of screen, switch between screen options, schedule tasks.. and so on. Its free video editor has basic editing features for cutting, trimming and adjusting video speed, contrast, shapes as well as converting the file into various formats such as: MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, FLV, MPEG, VOB, ASF, GIF.
- User-friendly interface.
- Record full screen or regional.
- Record around mouse area.
- Record on iOS.
- Record Webcam, 2nd monitor screen.
- Support more than 20 languages in the tool.
- Allow video output settings, mouse style setting, audio input setting, output format setting.
- Take screenshot easily.
- Customize hotkey, video quality, audio codec.
- Convert recorded video to MP4, WMV, AVI, FLV, MPEG, VOB, ASF and GIF
- Free for online tool
- $39.95 for personal license.
The best screen capture software for screencast purposes.
Snagit is another great product from TechSmith that deserves to to be one of the best screencast software for Windows/Mac. It is simple to use, professional and powerful screen capture and video recording software. Whether you want to record video, take screenshot or capture a scrolling page, Snagit is the best option for you. It’s a pity that Snagit doesn’t have a free version, it offers only 15 days as free trial . Its license price is $49.95 if you want to go further with it.
- Smart and simple to use program.
- Capture image, cursor, video and audio easily.
- Recording full screen, regional, webcam or scrolling page.
- Built-in video editor with capture info effect.
- Shapes and Annotation tools available in editor.
- Back ground auto fill function.
- Adding stamp, call out, transition or workflow.
- Manage files in Snagit’s library.
- Share on Google drive or on TechSmith’s server.
- No free version.
A great free screencast software for recording games and how-to videos for Windows.
Bandicam is an easy-to-use and powerful screencast software for recording gameplay whether it is OpenGL or Console. Bandicam makes it possible to record various 2D/3D games with 4K UHD Video and capture up to 144 FPS Video; Bandicam can record everything on your computer screen and save it as video files(AVI, MP4) or image files; Bandicam can record everything on your computer screen and save it as video files(AVI, MP4) or image files.
- Easy to use
- Record video in various options, record webcam.
- Record high quality games in 4K Ultra HD video at resolution up to 3840×2160 and HD video with max 144fps.
- Real-time drawing: Draw and outline you video or sreenshot in real time is possible.
- Mix your voice in is the recording is a unique function of Bandicam.
- Add logo to video.
- Add mouse effects and animation while recording.
- Lack of video editing tools.
- Output file is limited to only AVI and MP4.
- Free (unregistered version)
- Pro version price is 29$/ 1 PC.
Need more suggestions? Check out these low Cost screencast software
1. VSDC Video Editor Pro – $19.95 – See it.
VSDC video editor is one of the lowest cost screencast software with only $19.95 for Pro version. It has a full HD screen recorder, plus a professional editor with professional screencasting tools for making training video, product demos and promotion videos quickly and effectively.
2. AceThinker – Free & Online – See it now!
AceThinker is a free screen recording software with built-in simple video editor which can be used for creating screencast video professionally on Windows, Mac and iOS.
3. Mirillis Action Screen Recorder – $29.95 – See it now!
Action! is compact, stylish and user friendly. Built-in screen and gameplay recording manager allows to browse, delete selected items and export recordings to popular formats and devices. Action! screen recorder defines new standard of user experience for games benchmarking, gameplay and Windows desktop real-time recording software.
What are my suggestions
If you look at the list, it is easily to recognize that ActivePresenter is the first option you need to try if you want to make professional screencast if you can’t afford to buy a license of Camtasia or Snagit. ActivePresenter is completely free to download and use without any restriction.
Added to that, if you are a gamers, you should not use either Camtasia or ActivePresenter. The software you should try is Bandicam or Mirillis Action Screen Recorder.
With a professional screencasting software, you are able to create amazing tutorial videos, product demonstration or amazing marketing videos that can help you earn a lot of money. Therefore, We suggest you pick up one of the above mentioned tool and start creating wonderful things. Remember to follow us to receive more valuable post notifications in the future.