Snagit free and lower cost alternatives. These are the most similar tool to Snagit of TechSmith.
Snagit is yet a powerful, professional screen recorder and screen capture software in the world now. It has been an industry standard for video and audio recording with built-in video editor for Windows and Mac users. With Snagit 13, TechSmith has jumped one step further than the rest followers. It is great to have Snagit on your computer for sure. However, if you are not afforded to buy Snagit at the price $39, you can find other similar alternative in this article.
Firstly, take a look at Pros and Cons that we wrote about Snagit 13 before:
- Smart and simple to use program.
- Capture image, cursor, video and audio easily.
- Recording full screen, regional, webcam or scrolling page.
- Built-in video editor with capture info effect.
- Shapes and Annotation tools available in editor.
- Back ground auto fill function.
- Adding stamp, call out, transition or workflow.
- Manage files in Snagit’s library.
- Share on Google drive or on TechSmith’s server.
- No free version.
Platform: Windows, Mac
Download size: ~102 MB.
Latest Version: Snagit 13 for Windows and Snagit 4.1 for Mac
Our Reviewed date: September 12th 2017
See all new about Snagit
Snagit alternative: best 5 free and lower cost tools
1. Movavi screen recorder: $39.95 for Windows and Mac
Recently, we reviewed one of the most lightweight and professional screen recorder that has 90% similar features like Snagit. That’s Movavi screen recorder. The cost for Movavi license is roughly $10 cheaper than Snagit. I am quite sure that if you decide to purchase Movavi screen recorder as an alternative of Snagit, you will not be disappointed. This software is available for both Windows and Mac. Read our full review here!
- Simple to use, intuitive user interface.
- Being optimized for recording video and audio for streaming, webinar and video calls.
- Record full screen, customized area or specific Windows or application.
- Built-in basic video editing tools.
- Adding effects, transitions and captions to recorded videos.
- Advanced editing tools: Chroma key, video stabilization and slow motion are available in this software.
- Cut out unwanted parts from any video
- Save recordings to watch on a computer or mobile device
- Replay captured videos at any time
- Capture short clips from websites
- Save movies and TV series
- Record video chats with your friends and family
- Extract music from video, record online radio
- Cut out ads and other unwanted content
- Support multiple languages.
- Small size to download.
- Customized hotkey.
- Record mouse cursor, keystroke.
- Scheduling recording time.
- Save videos into MP4, AVI, GIF or MP3.
- Trial period is only 7 days.
- Watermark on recorded video.
- Recording limitation at 120 second in trial verson.
- Lacking of drawing tools.
Platform: Windows, Mac
Download size: ~49.2 MB.
Latest Version: 9.0 Released: August 11th
Our Reviewed date: October 18th 2017
Category: Screen Recorder
Have you ever heard of ActivePresenter? If not, read our full review about this all-in-one recording software from our latest update here. This is free software that allows you to record video, audio from your computer and edit recorded video as well as existed one to render it in to full high definition quality in AVI, MP4, MKV or WebM formats.
- Easy to use interface.
- Record videos & audios as long as you want.
- Record system sounds.
- Record mouse movements.
- Integrated with advanced video editing tools: You can Cut, crop, split, merge videos, add text caption, blur effects, transition…etc.
- Edit multiple videos/ slides.
- Adding Annotations, animations to videos.
- Export file to AVI, MKV, WebM, MP4 in Full HD quality.
- Can work in both Windows & Mac.
- No webcam record.
- Can’t upload directly online.
If you are looking for a perfect web-based free screen recording software which can compete with Snagit 13, it is absolutely Apowersoft free online screen recorder. Although the features are not exactly the same as Snagit and Apowersoft lacks some advanced features that you need to purchase Screen Recorder Pro if you want more professional options.
- User-friendly interface.
- Record full screen or regional.
- Record around mouse area.
- Record on iOS.
- Record Webcam, 2nd monitor screen.
- Support more than 20 languages in the tool.
- Allow video output settings, mouse style setting, audio input setting, output format setting.
- Take screenshot easily.
- Customize hotkey, video quality, audio codec.
- Convert recorded video to MP4, WMV, AVI, FLV, MPEG, VOB, ASF and GIF
- Built-in drawing tool for annotations on screen.
- Upload recorded video directly to YouTube, FTP.
- Share videos directly on Social media.
- Built-in basic free video editing tools.
- Video editing tools are too simple.
Platform: Windows and Mac
Download size: 16.3MB.
Latest Version: 2.2.4 released 07/03/2017
Our Reviewed date: 24 August 2017
Category: Free Screen Recorders
While Icecream free screen recorder is one of the best free alternative to Snagit, then Icecream screen recorder pro (go pro from free version) is the lowest cost alternative of Snagit. In Icecream pro version, the watermark and the time limit will be removed. Price to go pro is only $15 per year that is a huge bargain in comparison with Snagit’s price.
- Easy to install and simplified user interface.
- Easy to use user interface.
- Record videos and audios and around mouse area.
- Save videos to MP4, WebM, MOV, MP4.
- Take Screen Shots and draw outline on the screen during recording.
- Recording time is limited to 10 minutes in free version.
- There are no video editing tools.
Platform: Windows & Mac OS X
Download size: 52,92 MB
Latest Version: 4.92 released on 31 Jul 2017
Our Reviewed date: 16 August 2017
Category: Free Screen Recorder
Last but not least, OBS Studio is the most professional, free alternative of Snagit. It is, yes, the most recommended screen recorder and screen capture software you should try as a replacement of Snagit. This software is totally free and open source. If you often watch tutorial video on YouTube, you will easily recognize that most of famous YouTubers are using OBS for recording their screen and streaming show.
- Easy to use. Safe to download and install.
- Record full screen, multiple screen opts.
- Record audio from external devices, system sound.
- Record webcam.
- Add and adjust text, images into recording.
- Customize video quality and resolution.
- Various output formats: MP4, MOV, MKV, FLV, ts, m3u8
- Record games in Windows mode and full screen.
- Support multiple languages
- Possible to customize hotkeys.
- No watermark, no time limit.
- Support many live streaming platforms: YouTube/ YouTube Gaming, Facebook, Dailymotion, Mixer..and so on.
- No video editing tools.
- It’s hard to use for beginners.
Platform: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and Win Vista Service package 1/ macOS 10.10 and newer/ The Linux release is available officially for Ubuntu 14.04 and newer. FFmpeg is required. (read download guide before you start)
Download size: 107MB for OBS installer. Visit OBS Download site here.
Latest Version: 20.0.1 Released: August 11th
Our Reviewed date: 27 August 2017
Category: Free Screen Recorders
We understand that there are many other great alternatives of Snagit out there. Share with us any software which you think it is the best alternative to Snagit 13 – TechSmith down at the comment box.