Best free video editing software programs in 2019. Top 5 best free video editing software for Windows, Mac and Linux. The best free video editors you can use to create stunning movies without any cost at all.
Nowadays, there are many free and paid video editing software programs available on the web. Deciding which software to use depend very much on your needs, your budget and your video editing skills. There is no fixed rule on how to select a free video editing software. Free video editing software is a great option to go if you are a beginner to video editing world. These programs are often lack of advanced tools such as Chroma key, motion tracking etc. However, if you only need basic features such as cutting or trimming tools, these programs will work.
In this article, I will help you save your time and effort in choosing a free video editing software program to create your first video whether it’s a Facebook ad, a YouTube tutorial or an Instagram story. All the programs I list here are completely free and safe to use. All the free video editing software programs I list here is very simple to use. You don’t need any prior editing experiences to get started.
As this is a long post, I decided to break it into 3 main parts so that you can easily follow.
Okay! Let’s dive into the detail now!
Part 1: 5 Best Free Video Editing Software No Watermarks For Beginners – Windows/ Mac & Linux
As I mentioned earlier, there are many options you can use now to create videos. Deciding to use which software depends very much on your needs, your budget and your editing skills. Before making your final decision, I highly suggest that you trial the program carefully to see how it works. My below suggestions are the best free video editing programs in consideration of the workflow, output formats, feature package, technical support and online tutorial resources.
It is no surprise that VSDC is still the top choice in the list of free video editing software in 2018 on windows. For those who have been using this software to create a video tutorial on how to use the product would totally agree with me. This free software is great for the purpose of making how-to video, product demos. >>Read more
VSDC Key Features
Non-linear video editor
Our editor is a non-linear tool. This means that unlike in most other editors, where scenes come one after another in a linear sequence and certain order, our software allows objects to be placed in any position on the timeline and have any size. Besides, various parameters, shape and position of objects can change arbitrarily over time.
Visual and audio effects
You can apply various visual and audio effects to your videos to achieve the necessary result. Since the number of available visual effect is very high, they are split into five categories for ease of navigation: color correction, object transformation, object filters, transition effects and special fx.
Blending modes and Instagram-like filters
One more way of changing the look of your video image according to your preferences is color blending. Using a wide array of adjustable parameters, you can attach a unique professional style to your video. Newbies or those, who would like to save time, can benefit from stylish Instagram-like filters applied in one click.
VSDC Free Video Editor allows for creating different shaped masks for hiding, blurring or highlighting certain elements in your video. You can use it to apply special effects inside or outside the masked area. One of the most common reasons for masking are to blur a face to protect the identity or remove unwanted marks.
Easy export to social networks
To prepare a video for Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo without any problems, VSDC Free Video Editor offers you special export profiles which significantly reduce the stress of selecting a suitable format and meeting all the requirements.
Objects in a scene are positioned with subpixel accuracy, which makes for smooth animation, rotation, transformation and precise relative positioning.
Support of popular formats
Our software supports virtually all video, image and audio formats and codecs. That is why you won’t need any additional conversion tools to edit your files, as is often the case with other programs.
4K and HD export
VSDC is currently the only free video editor that allows you to export in a new H265/HEVC codec to maintain the highest quality at a minimum file size which is essential for those often processing 4K and HD files.
Creation of videos for specific multimedia devices
Thanks to a large set of preconfigured profiles, you can easily create videos for most popular multimedia devices, such as DVD players, iPod/iPhone/iPad, PSP, Galaxy, any smartphones and regular phones, Sony PlayStation, Xbox, Zune, Archos, iRiver, Creative Zen, Blackberry, MP4 players and many others.
Working with charts
You can create diagrams of different kinds, including 3D diagrams: Bar, Stacked Bar, Point, Bubble, Line, Scatter Line, Fast Line, Step Line, Spline, Area, Spline Area, Stacked Area, Stacked Spline Area, Range Bar, Gantt, Pie, Pie 3D, Torus 3D, Radar Point, Radar Line, Radar Area, Radar Spline, Radar Spline Area, Funnel, Pyramid, Pyramid 3D, High Low, Candle Stick. These objects can be based on dynamically changing data of different types. Besides, the appearance of diagrams is fully customizable (appearance of charts, coordinate axes, user-defined axes, legends, names of charts and axes, lines, labels and other elements), which will help you tailor them to your specific needs. Integrated color themes make it possible to quickly change the way your charts look.
Video library (to be included in the next program release)
The editor software lets you create your own library of multimedia files with brief or detailed descriptions. This will help you organize your video collection and simplify access to the necessary files.
Video stabilization tool
Footage taken from drones, action cameras or other devices on the go often needs improvement. VSDC Stabilization tool, as your virtual tripod, helps remove jitter or any other shaking effects, caused by camera movement and turn it into a much smoother video image.
VSDC Free Video Editor not only provides ready-made profiles for exporting to social networks, but also offers you to upload your video directly to YouTube right from the app without switching windows or tabs.
Built-in DVD burning tool
The editor comes with a DVD burning tool, allowing you to easily burn the results of your work to optical discs.
Video File Converter
The application is designed to quickly convert video files from one format to another. It has some basic features for editing videos: removing unneeded segments, splitting your video into parts, and merging several files into one.
Desktop video capture
The video editor features a desktop video capture utility that saves captured footage to a video file for subsequent processing in the editor.
Another feature of the our editor is the ability to capture video from various video tuners, webcams, IP cameras and save the captured footage on your computer in an arbitrary format for subsequent editing.
ActivePresenter is a great free video editing software with powerful built-in screen recorder. This program is best for making how-to videos, software tutorials, product demos and online training videos. ActivePresenter is simple to use as MS PowerPoint with intuitive user interface, a bunch of video and audio editing tools. This free video editing software won’t leave a watermark on your outputs as many others do. You can export your video into MP4, AVI, MKV or WebM without watermark in full HD quality. To learn more about this software, read our detail review of ActivePresenter here.
Key Features of ActivePresenter
- Advanced recording features: Full Motion Recording, Smart Capture
- Video editing: Cut, Crop, Join, Change Volume, Speed Up, Slow Down
- Multiple Audio/Video Layers
- Rich annotations: Shapes, Image, Zoom-n-Pan, Closed Caption, Cursor Path, Audio/Video Overlays
- Smart Annotation
- Themes & Templates
- Export to: MP4, WebM, MKV, AVI, WMV
- Export to: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Adobe PDF, HTML
- Commercial Use
- Advanced Audio/Video Effects: Fade In, Fade Out, Noise Reduction, Blur, Green Screen
- HTML5 Export
- Fully Responsive Design
- Interactions: Button, Mouse Click, Text Input, Drag & Drop, Keystroke
- Quiz: 9 Types of Questions
- Report & Tracking in LMS (SCORM, xAPI)
Lightworks pro is one of the most popular video editing software in the world today. With the information I read on its official website, Edit share will receive the 2017 Emmy Award Winner in April 2018 in the technology & engineering category. It is really good news for them. However, what I’m more interested in is their free video editor: lightworks version 14. It deserves to stand in the ranks of the best free video editing software for multiple platforms. Lightworks 14 provides you all tools you need to edit your footage to transform it to polished, Hollywood style movies quịckly. It is totally free and will not leave a watermark on exported video. Windows, Mac and Linux users can download and try it for free. >>Read more..
Key features of Lightworks Free edition
- All you need to stand out from the crowd: What if you had the power of an Academy and Emmy award-winning video editing software in a simple to use package to create your own video masterpieces? Be amazing right? Well with Lightworks you can edit like a pro and unleash your creative potential for all to see.
- Simple and intuitive user interface: Get up to speed quickly and easily creating amazing content; it couldn’t be simpler with all the tools you need easily accessible directly from the timeline. And with a huge set of tutorial videosthat cover everything you need to know and a community of users to help with every question, we will have you editing in no time.
- Video editing for everyone: For those just stepping into video making, Lightworks offers a FREE license version with all the tools – the only restriction is on output formats. The Lightworks Pro license can be purchased as needed; go monthly, annually or get the outright license, which includes Boris Graffiti and FX packages.
- Amazing effects & royalty-free media: Whether looking for inspiration or simply to create incredibly polished content, you have direct access from the editing timeline to over 100 included FX’s and the best original production music and stock video from Audio Network and Pond5.:
- Deliver content in any format: Whatever the final platform or format you need to deliver video to, Lightworks has it covered. From Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube, to SD, HD, 4K and beyond, video makers can package video for them all.
- On the Big Screen: With Lightworks you’re in good company when it comes to creating amazing content. From classic blockbusters to cinematic masterpieces, you have Hollywood strength editing in your hands!
Special notice: Lightworks V14 will only export your video in 720p quality only. If you need higher quality, you’ll need to update to Lightworks Pro.
Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
Shotcut was originally conceived in November, 2004 by Charlie Yates, an MLT co-founder and the original lead developer (see the original website). The current version of Shotcut is a complete rewrite by Dan Dennedy, another MLT co-founder and its current lead. Dan wanted to create a new editor based on MLT and he chose to reuse the Shotcut name since he liked it so much. He wanted to make something to exercise the new cross-platform capabilities of MLT especially in conjunction with the WebVfx and Movit plugins. >>Read more..
Key features of Shotcut
- Support for the latest audio and video formats thanks to FFmpeg
- Supports popular image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF, WebP as well as image sequences
- No import required – native timeline editing
- Frame-accurate seeking for many formats
- Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture
- Support for 4K resolutions
- Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
- Frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma)
- Color, text, noise, and counter generators
- EDL (CMX3600 Edit Decision List) export
- Export single frame as image or video as image sequence
- Videos files with alpha channel – both reading and writing
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Easy-to-use cut, copy, and paste operations
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Keyframes for filter parameters
- Detach audio from video clip
5. Davinci Resolve
DaVinci Resolve 14 has hundreds of professional new features for editors, colorists and now, for the first time, audio professionals. The new playback engine dramatically increases responsiveness with up to 10x better performance for editors. You also get a whole new page with the full Fairlight audio post production tools that let you record, edit, mix, sweeten and master sound with full 3D audio space and up to 1000 channels. Colorists will find amazing new Resolve FX that include automatic facial recognition and tracking for quickly smoothing skin tones, brightening eyes, changing lip color and more! Plus, DaVinci Resolve 14 features revolutionary new multi user collaboration tools such as bin locking, chat and timeline merging that allow editors, colorists, and sound editors to all work on the same project at the same time! All these new features make DaVinci Resolve 14 the world’s most advanced post production software!
Davinci Resolve 15 Professional Studio can be purchased on Amazon at $299 with lots of advanced features and enhancements. View it now!
Part 2: Best Free Video Editing Application For Android Smartphones
As I am not a huge fan of using smartphone to edit videos, I don’t pay much attention to such applications. However, there is increasing demand in the industry as many people use their smartphone to capture funny moment during their daily life and want to share it directly from the phone instead of bring their footage into the computer. That’s why I’ve done some researches to see which app is useful for such assignments. I’ve found Filmora Go – a simple to use yet decent free video editing software for smartphone from Wondershare cooperation.
This lightweight application lets you cut, trim your footage, add text title, filters and overlays to the clip simply by touching the screen. It also allows you to sign in to your Social media account and upload the project right away. The only drawback of this application is that you are not allowed to export higher resolution than 720p, and there is a short watermark at the end of your video when you’re using its free version. This is not a big deal as the cost to remove this watermark is shocking cheap, i.e approximately $2 for life. I wrote a detail review about Filmora Go, read this post for your information.
Part 3: Best Cheap Video Editing Software For Windows and Mac
As time goes by, I see more and more free video editing software appears on the market. These programs often look fancy with plethora of new features. However, not all of them work. You’ll need to be very careful about the new names on the market. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, if a program leaves a freaking watermark on the output, it can’t be one of the best programs. Because if you decide to use it for your work, you’ll have to find a way to remove it in later steps. It takes a lot of time and effort too. The good thing is, you can try the program as long as you want. It’s a little bit better than limited trial time offer.
If watermark is not what you care about, and you’re willing to spend your money if the program meets your requirements, I suggest you take a look at my best picks: the best budget simple-to-use video editing software for Windows and Mac.
Filmora Video Editor – another good software of Wondershare I’ve been using for some years now (my review about Filmora is here). It’s good enough for making videos for your social channel with tons of filters and effects. Consider to use Filmora Video Editor to create your next YouTube videos. It’s a good free video editing software with WATERMARK for Windows and Mac. The cost to remove the watermark is $59.95 per license as the listed price. But, you can also apply 20% off coupon code to save your money at Jackydeals.com (Here is the link to Filmora coupon’s store on Jackydeals.com).
Key features of Filmora
- Up to 100 Video Tracks: Organize your media in up to 100 full video tracks and create compositing effects. Apply filters, transitions, and other effects to any track.
- Faster Import and Export: Import and render media at a higher speed.
- High Resolution Previews and Snapshots: Preview your video with more clarity and capture high resolution still frames.
- Enhanced Chroma Key: Achieve better results with a green screen tool that gives you more control.
- Enhanced Video Stabilization: Smooth out shaky footage with the upgraded stabilization tool.
- Adjustable Playback Quality: Reduce the resolution of your video preview for a smoother editing experience without affecting the quality of your exported videos.
- PC/Mac Cross-Compatibility: Start projects in a Mac or PC version of Filmora9 and continue working on them in either OS.
- Audio: Enhanced Waveforms
- Edit audio cues with more visible audio waveforms.
- Envelope/Keyframe Audio Editing: Adjust the volume of an audio clip within the timeline, using keyframing to make multiple adjustments within one clip.
- Up to 100 Audio Tracks: Organize your music, dialogue, and other audio clips in up to 100 timeline tracks.
If you are not satisfied with the software I mentioned above, please refer to the list of under $100 professional video editing software for Windows and Mac here. I would love to hear from you. Please share with me the software you know. Remember to follow us to receive more valuable post notifications in the future.