Top 3 best free screen recorder of 2018. Free screen recorder for capturing video and image from your Desktop. Ideal software for making tutorials and product demos that you can trust.
What is a screen recorder?
A screen recorder can be used for various purposes such as creating how-to videos, product demos, marketing video or software simulation. By using a screen recorder, you can easily record on screen’s activities to make a screencast with minimum effort. You all know that video is an effective way to share your knowledge and experiences to your viewers, right?
There are some ways to create a video. But the easiest way is to create it from recording your computer’s screen. With a powerful screen recorder, you can record high quality video with audio, annotate it with your own notes and share it directly online. In 2017, I have created a great article about the best free screen recorder for Windows, Mac as well as some other specific topics to recommend useful tools and tips in screen recording process. It is nearly end of 2017 now. It’s time for us to review all the available free screen recorders and create a new list now.
Best free screen recorder – What to look for in 2018
Technology is changing every day. It is happening in screencasting industry too. There are hundreds of new screen recording programs you can find out on the network now. But, how do you know which one is the best? You and I don’t know exactly the correct answer. But, at least, we know what are the key features of a good free screen recorder. Take a look at below questions before diving deep into our detail reviews:
- Is it safe and easy to download?
- Does it offer an intuituve user interface?
- How is it performance when executing video recording work on your computer?
- Does it allow you to record full high definition video?
- Does it come along with a free editor?
- Does it leave watermarks or time limitation on your recording?
These are the questions we consider whenever we test any program we found. The best ones are in the next parts. Keep reading.
Top 3 best free screen recorders 2018
1. ActivePresenter – Best free screen recorder for making tutorial videos
With the breakthrough updates in ActivePresenter 7 version, announced last September, ActivePresenter deserves to be considered as one of the best free screen recorders in 2018. There are still features such as full HD quality video recording tool plus a built-in professional and easy to use video editor. Added to that, there are lots of enhancements you can find in ActivePresenter 7 such as webcam recording, Chroma key, advanced audio features, more interactive timeline, Stylable check box, radio button and many other features.
The best features of ActivePresenter
- Record computer’s screen in full high definition quality with audio and system sound.
- Taking screenshot on computer quickly with hotkeys and edit it.
- Record full screen, a window, locked application or a part of the screen in full motion at 30 fps, 32 bit rate.
- Record integrated webcam (In ActivePresenter 7).
- Built-in video editor with basic and advanced video editing features. You can cut, trim, crop, blur video; add annotations, quizzes, closed captions to your video.
- Export recorded video into AVI, MKV, WebM, Mp4, and HTML5 without quality loss.
- No watermark, no video length limitation.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac.
2. Apowersoft – Best free online screen recorder
In 2017, I have tried Apowersoft free online screen recorder to grab my Desktop many times. It didn’t make me disappointed. Whatever I want to do from recording full screen or region, with or without audio as well as webcam recording, Apowersoft often gives great quality. From my point of view, Apowersoft can be the best free online screen recorder in 2018 at no doubt. Although there isn’t any major upgrades in this software so far, but its existing features seem to be enough for creating screencast video for tutorial and product demos purposes.
Apowersoft provides a no watermark or time limit recording tools plus a simple video editor where to can cut, crop video, adjust brightness, add text to video and share it directly on YouTube or Vimeo as well as save video in various formats.
The best features of Apowersoft
- Record screen at full HD quality in full screen mode or customized area without audio.
- Possible to record webcam, cursor path, cursor overlay.
- Built-in drawing tools.
- Built-in simple video editing tools.
- Sharing directly online.
- No Java is required.
- No watermark, no time limit.
3. OBS Studio – Best free screen recorder for games and live streaming
OBS Studio is the most professional, powerful free and open source screen recording software in 2018 with possibility to capture high quality games and performs as a free live streaming platform for YouTube and Twitch. Although it is still complicated to use at the first time, but its amazing features help it keep one position in the best free screen recorder lineup. For newbie to OBS Studio, it can be used on Windows, Mac and Linux. Don’t hesitate to try this software if you need a no watermark, no time limit, and high quality screen capture software.
The best features of OBS Studio
- Capture screenshot from your desktop computer.
- Record games in full screen and window mode.
- Add watermark, picture into the video.
- Record webcam, audio without watermark or video length limitation.
- Broadcast live on YouTube, Twitch for free.
Top 3 Best Premium Screen Recorders 2018
1. Aiseesoft screen recorder – $27.30
Aiseesoft screen recorder is one of the most easy-to-use software for capturing videos and audios on your computer at high quality. Although its free version allows 2 minutes only. Aiseesoft free screen recorder deserves to stand high in the best screen recorders lineup.
2. Mirillis Action Screen Recorder – $29.95
Mirillis Action is a powerful, simple to use screen recording software you can trust. It has full functionality from recording screen video, record gameplay, take screenshot, record video from external device via USB or HDMI cable. Besides the basic features of a video-recording software, Mirillis Action offers more advanced features like Chroma key, live streaming and sharing features directly to YouTube and FaceBook.
3. Snagit 2018 – $49.95
Snagit lets you share what can’t be put into words. Easily create custom images and videos for demos, feedback, reviews, and more. Snag any image and enhance it with effects or create a quick video of your computer screen with no time restrictions. Then share your creations instantly with anyone. No matter what you’re working on, Snagit helps you eliminate confusion and provide people with personal, meaningful content.
As you know, each screen recorder is optimized for a specific purpose. Depending on your needs, choose the the most powerful one from my below suggestions:
Screen recorder for making screencast: Use ActivePresenter since it has a high quality screen recorder plus a video editor with lots of annotation tools. It is optimized for making screencast video. This is the best free option you can use on Windows and Mac.
Powerful screen recorder & video editor for making training videos: Try Camtasia Studio 9 instead of the above mentioned tools. It is an industry standard software for making training videos, promotion videos at pro levels.
The most powerful screen capture software for scrolling pages: Nothing to argue here. Try Snagit 2018, the most powerful and easy to use for capturing a scrolling page. This new technology of TechSmith has far outstripped the rest.
In 2018, I will continue to check other free screen recorders to put it in this list if it can meet the above mentioned criteria. I hope to give you some more suggestions by early 2018. Until now, please make use of the above options. You are welcome to share with me your suggestions in the comment area. Don’t forget to follow us to receive more valuable post notifications in the future.