This list covers 6 best screen recorders for Windows 10, free and paid. All programs are carefully tested by our experts.
As a Windows 10 user, you may have many options to record video and audio from your desktop monitor, both free and paid. Well, frankly speaking, it’s very easy to download and install a program on your computer to getting started. You don’t have to be an expert to get things done for sure. The hardest thing is about choosing RIGHT screen recorder that is compatible to your machine specs, suite your needs and completely free to use (no watermark, no time limit).
So, in order to alleviate your sufferings and save your time and nerves, here’s the list of 6 best free screen recorders you can try on your Windows 10 computer. They are powerful yet decent in video/audio recording.
ActivePresenter is an all-in-on free screen recorder that you can use to record screen on Window 10 desktop easily. It has all necessary tools to capture video in full screen or customized area as well as a locked application with audio (from mic or system sound). The quality of recorded video can be customized in full HD (1080p) without watermark. You can also edit it and export into various formats such as AVI, MP4, WebM, MKV. >>Try it now!
- It is completely free to download and install on your computer.
- Simple to use. You can record video and audio in just a few clicks.
- Possible to record full high definition videos as well as audio, system sound.
- Record full screen, customized part with audio, webcam and locked applications.
- No lag, virus free, no watermark, no time limit.
- Powerful, built-in editor: cut, trim, crop video, merge, split, Zoom in/out and chroma key, text to speech and more.
- Export videos into AVI, MKV, MP4, WebM.
- Can work on Windows 7, 8x, Windows 10 and macOS X.
- Steep learning curve.
- Record high FPS games may cause laggy issues.
- Free edition for non commercial use.
- Standard edition license: $199 per lifetime.
- Professional license: $399 per lifetime.
2. VSDC Free Screen Recorder
Like ActivePresenter, VSDC is a powerful, professional free screen recorder for Windows 10. It also has free editor with a feature packed annotation tools for users to use. Output videos will not have watermark and it supports quality up to 4K in new H265/HVEC codec. VSDC can work on Windows only (No macOS, No Linux). The program comes together will a free video editor with professional features to use for multiple purposes.
- Simple to use interface.
- Record high quality video and audio. Possible to record multiple screens.
- Built-in drawing tools for annotation.
- Add shapes, text to the video.
- No lag, virus free, no watermark, no time limit.
- Work on all Windows operating systems.
- Limited output formats.
- Can work on Windows only. No Mac, no Linux.
3. OBS Studio
OBS studio is a powerful, free and open source screen recorder for Windows 10. It is the most popular software for creating YouTube video and broadcasting live streaming video now. However, it is a little bit more complicated to use in comparison with ActivePresenter and VSDC. You will need some time to learn how to set up OBS as well as how to use it when getting started. >>Read more..
- Great output quality.
- Free to use without any limitation.
- Great tool for capturing full screen and live streaming.
- Capture videos, images from desktop or external devices are really simple.
- Well arranged interface as a Studio.
- Built-in editor.
- Can work on Windows 7, 8x and Windows 10.
- Difficult to use for beginners.
- Not many tutorial videos.
- No technical support from developers.
4. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream free screen recorder software can work well on Windows 10. It is an easy to use screen recorder with two basic options: recording video and taking screenshot. Icecream provide a clear, easy-to-navigate interface and a history bin to save your captured footage. It does not put a watemark on your recording like the above mentioned software too. Although, it offers only 10 minutes recording in free version but its pro version is very cost effective, only $15/year. >>Read more…
- Record video and audio from computer, webcam.
- Easy to adjust recording frame, take screenshot in a click.
- Various output format options.
- Built-in drawing tools.
- Free, no lag, virus free.
- Can work on Windows and macOS.
- Lack of editing video features.
- Limit recording time in only 10 minutes.
- A little bit lag when recording long video.
Learn how to record screen and take screenshot with Icecream here
5. Apowesoft Free Online Screen Recorder
Apowesoft is a great free online screen recorder for Windows 10. It has all necessary tools to record high quality video without watermark and no time limit. Its built-in free video editor is just a piece of cake for you. This is not a new software since we recommended about it in our previous topic. This is my first choice to record screen on Windows 10 when I want to make short, simple clip to upload directly on YouTube. >>Try it now!
- Free, online tool. No download require.
- Easy to use.
- Record full screen or specific area easily.
- No watermark, no time limit.
- Share recorded video directly online.
- Built-in free video editor for basic editing such as cut, trim, adjust brightness, add text, logo to the video.
- Lack of advanced editing tools.
Bandicam is one of the best free screen recorder for recording gameplay on Windows 10. Despite the fact that it does not have any video editing tool like ActivePresenter or VSDC, Bandicam gains our trust while we test all of it recording mode: desktop recording, game recording and HDMI recording. The results are really good in comparison with other software at the same level. Please be mentioned that Bandicam will leave a small watermark on your video. You’ll need to update to Pro version if you want to remove it. If you can live with watermark, then it’s fine. >>Try it now!
- Simple to use.
- Free to record video up to 10 minutes.
- Easy to download and install.
- No lag, virus free, ad free.
- Great technical support.
- Watermark on recorded video.
- No video editing features.
Have you ever used one of the above mentioned tools to record your computer’s screen or take screenshot? If yes, please share with me your opinion. I would love to hear from you.
Editor’s suggestion: ActivePresenter – Free Screen Recorder & Video Editor For Windows & Mac. Try it Now!
Remember to follow us to receive more valuable post notifications in the future.
You may want to read: Best free screen recorders without Watermark.
Hi Peter, yes. For simulation, use ActivePresenter. It is perfect for such purposes. You’ll get notified when things go wrong!
A question. Do any of these screen recording apps have any notification options? When undertaking long processes (i.e. simulations, animations, etc.) it would be extremely helpful and time-saving to get a notification in case of an error or bug, in time rather than next time I log on. So I am wondering whether it is possible (in any of the mentioned screen recorders) to set “filters” or display change trackers which would notify immediately when an error occurs.. Any ideas?
Useful information 👌👌
Hi. I am very happy that you like these tool. Welcome to follow us.
Love your suggestion. These windows 10 screen recorders are great. Best tools ever haha.
Sure. Will public facebook page soon
Actually yes. But i have some problem accessing the page. Will create a new one for posting useful info.
I enjoyed seeing this, do you have a Facebook page for this site?
Good to know these screen recording tools and thanks for the sharing. I’d also recommend Acethinker Screen Recorder which I have been using for many years. It is an online tool that lets you record your screen right from the browser. You may add it to the list as well.